Medium undead, neutral evil
Armor Class 12
Hit Points 75 (10d8 + 30)
Speed 30 ft.
|19 (+4)||14 (+2)||17 (+3)||6 (–2)||15 (+2)||14 (+2)|
Saving Throws Int +14, Wis +14, Cha +17
Skills Perception +4, Stealth +4
Damage Resistances necrotic; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 14
Languages understands ancient language, but can’t speak
Challenge 4 (1,100 XP)
- Cursed Existence:When it drops to 0 hit points in desert terrain, the accursed defiler’s body disintegrates into sand and a sudden parched breeze. However, unless it was killed in a hallowed location, with radiant damage, or by a blessed creature, the accursed defiler reforms at the next sundown 1d100 miles away in a random direction.
- Sand Shroud: A miniature sandstorm constantly whirls around the accursed defiler in a 10-foot radius. This area is lightly obscured to creatures other than an accursed defiler. Wisdom (Survival) checks made to follow tracks left by an accursed defiler or other creatures that were traveling in its sand shroud are made with disadvantage.
- Multiattack: The accursed defiler makes two slam attacks.
- Slam: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) bludgeoning damage. If a creature is hit by this attack twice in the same round (from the same or different accursed defilers), the target must make a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or gain one level of exhaustion.
- Sandslash (Recharge 5–6): As an action, the accursed defiler intensifies the vortex of sand that surrounds it. All creatures within a 10-foot radius of the accursed defiler take 21 (6d6) slashing damage, or half damage with a successful DC 14 Dexterity saving throw.
A gaunt figure in a tattered black mantle shrouded in a cloud of whirling sand. Thin cracks run across its papyrus-dry skin and around its hollow, black eyes.
Cursed to Wander and Thirst. Accursed defilers are the remnants of an ancient tribe that desecrated a sacred oasis. For their crime, the wrathful spirits cursed the tribe to forever wander the wastes attempting to quench an insatiable thirst. Each defiler carries a parched sandstorm within its lungs and in the flowing sand in its veins. Wherever they roam, they leave only the desiccated husks of their victims littering the sand.
Unceasing Hatred. The desperate or foolish sometimes try to speak with these ill-fated creatures in their archaic native tongue, to learn their secrets or to bargain for their services, but a defiler’s heart is blackened with hate and despair, leaving room for naught but woe.
Servants to Great Evil. On very rare occasions, accursed defilers serve evil high priests, fext, or soulsworn warlocks as bodyguards and zealous destroyers, eager to spread the withering desert’s hand to new lands.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.