Medium celestial, neutral evil
Armor Class 16 (natural armor)
Hit Points 88 (16d8 + 16)
Speed 30 ft., fly 60 ft.
|18 (+4)||16 (+3)||12 (+1)||12 (+1)||18 (+4)||20 (+5)|
Saving Throws Dex +6, Wis+7, Cha +8
Skills Perception +7
Damage Resistances piercing
Damage Immunities fire, radiant
Senses darkvision 200 ft., passive Perception 17
Languages Common, Celestial, Infernal
Challenge 8 (3,900 XP)
- Dark Halo: A chained angel is immune to direct damage spells from divine casters.
- Redemption: Any caster brave enough to cast a knock spell on a chained angel can remove the creature’s shackles—but this always exposes the caster to an immediate fiery greatsword attack as a reaction. If the caster survives that attack, the angel makes an immediate DC 20 Wisdom saving throw; if it succeeds, the angel’s chains fall away and it is restored to its senses and to a Good alignment. If the saving throw fails, any further attempts to cast knock on the angel’s chains fail automatically for one week.
- Multiattack: The chained angel makes two fiery greatsword attacks.
- Fiery Greatsword: Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) slashing damage plus 16 (3d10) fire damage.
- Fallen Glory (Recharge 5-6): Ranged Spell Attack: All creatures within 50 feet of the chained angel and in its line of sight take 19 (3d12) radiant damage and are knocked prone, or take half damage and aren’t knocked prone with a successful DC 15 Strength saving throw.
- Fiendish Cunning: A chained angel can counter and destroy the ongoing effect of one divine spell each round. This functions as a counterspell with +7 spellcasting ability.
Their wings are still feathered, but their soulless eyes betray a great rage and thirst for blood. They invariably wear chains, shackles, barbed flesh hooks, or manacles to show their captive state. Some have heavy chain leashes held by arch-devils or major demons. All chained angels have halos of pure black, and many have been flayed of their skin along one or more limbs.
Broken and Chained. These angels have been captured by fiends, tortured, and turned to serve darkness. A pack of chained angels is considered a status symbol among the servants of evil. A chained angel fights for the forces of evil as long as they remain chained, and this amuses demons and devils greatly.
Chance at Redemption. However, while their souls are tainted with the blood of innocents, in their hearts chained angels still hope to be redeemed, or at least to be given the solace of extinction. Any creature that kills a chained angel is given a gift of gratitude for the release of death, in the form of all the effects of a heroes’ feast spell. If it cannot be redeemed, a chained angel is a storm of destruction.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.