Huge fiend (demon), chaotic evil
Armor Class 20 (natural armor)
Hit Points 350 (28d12 + 168)
Speed 20 ft., fly 100 ft.
|14 (+2)||19 (+4)||23 (+6)||16 (+3)||20 (+5)||16 (+3)|
Saving Throws Dex +11, Con +13, Wis +12
Skills Deception +10, Perception +12, Stealth +11
Damage Resistances fire, lightning
Damage Immunities cold, poison; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, poisoned
Senses truesight 120 ft., passive Perception 22
Languages all, telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 21 (33,000 XP)
- Born of Darkness. The Demon Lord of Night can take the Hide action as a bonus action on each turn while it is in dim light or darkness, even if it is being observed.
- Innate Spellcasting. The Demon Lord of Night’s innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (save DC 18). It can innately cast the following spells without material components.
- Keen Senses. The Demon Lord of Night has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.
- Legendary Resistance (3/day). If The Demon Lord of Night fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
- Magic Resistance. The Demon Lord of Night has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Magic Weapons. The Demon Lord of Night’s weapon attacks are magical.
- Multiattack. The Demon Lord of Night makes one bite attack, one wing attack, and one talons attack.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 26 (4d10 + 4) piercing damage.
- Wing. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 17 (3d8 + 4) bludgeoning damage and the target must succeed on a DC 17 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.
- Talons. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (3d6 + 4) slashing damage and the target is grappled and restrained (escape DC 17). The Demon Lord of Night can grapple one creature at a time if it is on the ground or two if it is flying. Talons grappling a creature can’t attack any other creature.
The Demon Lord of Night can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The Demon Lord of Night regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
- Attack. The Demon Lord of Night makes one attack.
- Move. The Demon Lord of Night flies half its speed without provoking opportunity attacks.
- Shroud (2 actions). The Demon Lord of Night radiates magical darkness in a 30-foot radius. The darkness lasts until the start of The Demon Lord of Night’s next turn.
The Demon Lord of Night’s lair is an immense tree in the center of a lightless layer of the Abyss. The tree is an ancient, dead snag with a massive, hollow chamber in the rotting trunk.
On initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties), The Demon Lord of Night takes a lair action to cause one of the following effects; The Demon Lord of Night can’t use the same effect two rounds in a row:
- The Demon Lord of Night snuffs all light sources within the lair. Spells that create light are dispelled, mundane light sources are extinguished, and magical light sources are suppressed. Even light created by artifacts is reduced to dim light with half its normal radius of illumination. This lasts until initiative count 20 on the following round.
- Haunting, maddening music emanates from a point The Demon Lord of Night can see. Creatures within 50 feet of the origin that can hear the music must make a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw. Those that fail are charmed, incapacitated, and have their speed reduced to 0 until they take damage or until initiative count 20 on the following round.
- Black tendrils writhe around up to three creatures The Demon Lord of Night can see within 100 feet. The creatures must succeed on a DC 15 Strength saving throw or be restrained until initiative count 20 on the following round.
The region containing The Demon Lord of Night’s lair is warped by the demon lord’s magic, which creates one or more of the following effects:
- Within 1 mile of the lair all light sources except artifacts shed light to only half the usual radius.
- Owls and other nocturnal beasts become enraged and hostile within 5 miles of the lair, attacking intruders individually and in swarms.
- Within 1 mile of the lair, The Demon Lord of Night can cast his senses into any area of dim light or darkness as if using clairvoyance.
If The Demon Lord of Night dies, conditions in the area surrounding the lair return to normal over the course of 1d10 days.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.