Huge fiend (devil), lawful evil
Armor Class 20 (natural armor)
Hit Points 378 (28d12 + 196)
Speed 50 ft.
|22 (+6)||13 (+1)||24 (+7)||23 (+6)||21 (+5)||26 (+8)|
Saving Throws Dex +9, Int +14, Wis +13, Cha +16
Skills Deception +16, Insight +13, Perception +13, Persuasion +16
Damage Resistances cold
Damage Immunities fire, poison; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from weapons that aren’t silvered
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, poisoned
Senses truesight 120 ft., passive Perception 23
Languages all, telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 25 (75,000 XP)
- Innate Spellcasting. The archdevil of greed’s innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 24, +16 to hit with spell attacks). He can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- At will: charm person, detect magic, dispel magic, fabricate (the archdevil of greed can create valuable objects), heat metal, magic aura
- 3/day each: animate objects, counterspell, creation, instant summons, legend lore, teleport
- 1/day each: imprisonment (minimus containment only, inside gems), sunburst
- Legendary Resistance (3/day). If the archdevil of greed fails a saving throw, he can choose to succeed instead.
- Magic Resistance. The archdevil of greed has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Magic Weapons. The archdevil of greed’s weapon attacks are magical.
- Multiattack. The archdevil of greed makes three attacks.
- Purse. Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 19 (3d8 + 6) bludgeoning damage plus 18 (4d8) radiant damage.
- Molten Coins. Ranged Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, range 40/120 ft., one target. Hit: 16 (3d6 + 6) bludgeoning damage plus 18 (4d8) fire damage.
- Your Weight In Gold (Recharge 5-6). The archdevil of greed can use this ability as a bonus action immediately after hitting a creature with his purse attack. The creature must make a DC 24 Constitution saving throw. If the saving throw fails by 5 or more, the creature is instantly petrified by being turned to solid gold. Otherwise, a creature that fails the saving throw is restrained. A restrained creature repeats the saving throw at the end of its next turn, becoming petrified on a failure or ending the effect on a success. The petrification lasts until the creature receives a greater restoration spell or comparable magic.
The archdevil of greed can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The archdevil of greed regains spent legendary actions at the start of his turn.
- Attack. The archdevil of greed makes one purse or molten coins attack.
- Make It Rain! The archdevil of greed casts gold and jewels into a 5-foot radius within 60 feet. One creature within 60 feet of the treasure that can see it must make a DC 24 Wisdom saving throw. On a failure, the creature must use its reaction to move its speed toward the trinkets, which vanish at the end of the turn.
- Deep Pockets (3 actions). The archdevil of greed recharges his Your Weight In Gold ability.
The archdevil of greed resides within a realm of overwhelming opulence.
The forests grow golden trees with emerald leaves. Streams of liquid silver wind past fields of lapis wildflowers. The Archdevil of Greed’s home, the Halls of Avarice, is in the heart of a golden city.
Everything within his palace is made of a precious substance, and it is filled to bursting with breathtaking treasures.
On initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties), the archdevil of greed takes a lair action to cause one of the following effects; the archdevil of greed can’t use the same effect two rounds in a row:
- The archdevil of greed infuses a pile of treasure in his lair with life.
- It becomes an earth elemental made of precious metals and gems. The elemental acts immediately and lasts until destroyed or until the archdevil of greed uses this action again.
- Stacked piles of treasure shift and slide, collapsing onto a creature the archdevil of greed can see. The creature is restrained until initiative count 20 on the following round, or until it or an adjacent ally uses an action to make a successful DC 18 Strength check to free it.
- The archdevil of greed magically teleports from one area of treasure to another within 150 feet.
The region containing the archdevil of greed’s lair is warped by the archdevil’s magic, which creates one or more of the following effects:
- Treasure in the possession of creatures other than the archdevil of greed turns to worthless materials such as lead, wood, or gravel, after spending 24 hours within 1 mile of the lair. The resulting junk resumes its valuable form when the archdevil of greed claims it, or by means of a wish spell or comparable magic.
- Creatures that spend more than 1 hour within 1 mile of the archdevil of greed’s lair become obsessed with gaining the most generous payment or portion of wealth in any dealing unless they succeed on a DC 18 Wisdom saving throw. A creature that saves successfully is immune to this effect for 24 hours.
- The effect can be removed by a greater restoration spell or comparable magic.
- Any naturally occurring treasure in the archdevil of greed’s home plane reverts to worthless junk if removed from the plane. Similarly, any mundane item left behind transforms into something fantastically valuable, as long as it remains on the plane.
If The archdevil of greed dies, conditions in the area surrounding the lair return to normal over the course of 1d10 days.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.