Medium aberration, lawful evil
Armor Class 17 (natural armor)
Hit Points 78 (12d8 + 24)
Speed 40 ft., climb 20 ft.
|18 (+4)||15 (+2)||15 (+2)||10 (+0)||13 (+1)||12 (+1)|
Saving Throws Wis +4
Skills Perception +4, Stealth +5
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., tremorsense 60 ft., passive Perception 14
Challenge 5 (1,800 XP)
- Hive Mind. Spawn of the Prince of Swarms share a bond with other members of their hive that enhances their hive mates’ perception. As long as a spawn is within 60 feet of at least one hive mate, it has advantage on initiative rolls and Wisdom (Perception) checks. If one spawn is aware of a particular danger, all others in the hive are, too. No spawn in a hive mind is surprised at the beginning of an encounter unless all of them are.
- Innate Spellcasting. The spawn of the Prince of Swarms’s spellcasting ability is Charisma. The Spawn of the Prince of Swarms can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- 1/day: conjure animals (only swarms of insects) Scent Communication. Spawn of the Prince of Swarms can communicate with each other and all swarms of insects within 60 feet via pheromone transmission. In a hive, this range extends to cover the entire hive. This is a silent and instantaneous mode of communication that only the Prince of Swarms, his spawn, and swarms of insects can understand. As a bonus action, the spawn can use this trait to control and give orders to one swarm of insects within 60 feet.
- Multiattack. A Spawn of the Prince of Swarms makes one bite attack and two stinger attacks.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) piercing damage plus 4 (1d8) poison damage.
- Stinger. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6 + 4) piercing damage plus 9 (2d8) poison damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 1 minute. A poisoned creature repeats the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
This insectile humanoid’s mouth stretches over dripping mandibles that are poorly concealed behind an ill-fitting mask of flesh. Its eyes have compound irises, and barbed stingers sprout between the fingers at the ends of its long, segmented limbs.
Skin and Carapace. Spawn of the Prince of Swarms are roughly humanoid, with many insectoid qualities including a hardened carapace and oddly-jointed limbs. Their faces, arms, and legs are covered with a largely decorative skin which stretches and tears to reveal insectile traits beneath.
Carrion Eaters. Spawn of the Prince of Swarms are scavengers and predators that feast on both living creatures and carrion they find within their territory.
Hive Dwellers. Spawn of the Prince of Swarms dwell in hive structures comprised of natural growth and rigid architecture. The hives are built in isolated, easily-defensible locales (hilltops, forest canopies, and even cliff dwellings). Visitors often must climb or fly to reach them-some such hives built by the tosculi, who share them with the spawn of the Prince of Swarms. Most spawn of the Prince of Swarms stand between 4 and 6 feet tall, and they weigh between 85 and 160 lb.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.