Medium aberration, neutral
Armor Class 16 (natural armor)
Hit Points 182 (28d8 + 56)
Speed 40 ft., climb 40 ft.
|18 (+4)||12 (+1)||14 (+2)||18 (+4)||16 (+3)||9 (-1)|
Saving Throws Con +5
Skills Arcana +7, History +7, Insight +6, Religion +7
Condition Immunities charmed, sleep
Senses truesight 60 ft., passive Perception 13
Languages telepathy 100 ft.
Challenge 6 (2,300 XP)
- Innate Spellcasting. The fate eater’s innate spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 15). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- Visionary Flesh. Eating the flesh of a fate eater requires a DC 15 Constitution saving throw. If successful, the eater gains a divination spell. If failed, the victim vomits blood and fails the next saving throw made in combat.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 26 (5d8 + 4) slashing damage plus 11 (2d10) necrotic damage.
- Spectral Bite. When a fate eater scores a critical hit against a target, it damages not only the creature but also the threads of its fate, changing the character’s past or future. Effects 3-6 are permanent until the character makes a successful Charisma saving throw. The saving throw is repeated after every long rest, but the DC increases by 1 after every long rest, as the character becomes more entrenched in this new destiny. Otherwise, these new fates can be undone by nothing short of a wish spell or comparable magic. The target must roll 1d6 on the chart below for each critical hit that isn’t negated by a successful DC 15 Charisma saving throw:
- Seeing the Alternates: Suffers the effects of the confusion spell for 1d4 rounds
- Untied from the Loom: Character’s speed is randomized for four rounds. Roll 3d20 at the start of each of the character’s turns to determine his or her speed in feet that turn
- Shifting Memories: Permanently loses 2 from a random skill and gains 2 in a random untrained skill
- Not So Fast: Loses the use of one class ability, chosen at random
- Lost Potential: Loses 1 point from one randomly chosen ability score
- Took the Lesser Path: The character’s current hit point total becomes his or her hit point maximum
These human-sized parasites resemble ghostly centipedes surrounded in erratic violet radiance. Their flesh is translucent and their jaws are crystalline-they are clearly creatures of strange planes indeed.
Destiny Destroyers. Fate eaters infest remote areas of the planes, where they consume the threads of Fate itself. The Norns view them as vermin and sometimes engage particularly canny planar travelers either to hunt them or to help repair the damage they have done. This can be a deadly job as the fate eaters consider the destiny of a mortal to be the tastiest of delicacies, rich in savory possibilities.
Planar Gossips. Fate eaters can and do trade information about various dooms, fates, and outcomes, but one must have something rich in destiny to trade-or at least, juicy gossip about gods and demons.
Visionary Flesh. Eating the properly-prepared flesh of a fate eater grants insight into the fate of another.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.