Medium undead, lawful evil
Armor Class 16 (breastplate)
Hit Points 93 (17d8 + 17)
Speed 30 ft., burrow 15 ft.
|16 (+3)||14 (+2)||12 (+1)||13 (+1)||14 (+2)||14 (+2)|
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 12
Languages Common, Darakhul, Undercommon
Challenge 4 (1,100 XP)
- Turning Defiance. The iron ghoul and any ghouls within 30 feet of it have advantage on saving throws against effects that turn undead.
- Multiattack. The imperial ghoul makes one bite attack and one claws attack.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 12 (2d8 + 3) piercing damage, and if the target creature is humanoid it must succeed on a DC 11 Constitution saving throw or contract darakhul fever.
- Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach, one target. Hit: 17 (4d6 + 3) slashing damage. If the target is a creature other than an elf or undead, it must succeed on a DC 11 Constitution saving throw or be paralyzed for 1 minute. The target repeats the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
- Light Crossbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 80/320, one target. Hit: 8 (1d8 + 2) piercing damage.
An imperial ghoul stands tall and proud, its gray flesh robust and muscled, its sharp talons stained black, and its clothing strangely well kept. Its flickering red eyes have an intelligent, malicious gleam.
Shock Troops. Imperial ghouls are the shock troops of the ghoul empire, and eager to expand its power and influence. Treated like auxiliaries, they get the most difficult tasks: to engage and hold foes while the darakhul, iron legionnaires, and others outflank them.
Ambitious Strivers. Many believe that the hunger cults or the necrophagi know some secret of transforming imperial ghouls into iron ghouls. This rumor gives them hope of advancement. Their power over the lesser ghouls and slaves gives them a taste of tyranny. Because they are ambitious and always hungry for more power, imperial ghouls are eager to prove themselves as hunters, as warriors, and as spies.
Immune to Sun. Unlike a standard darakhul, an imperial ghoul does not suffer from sunlight and feels little need to disguise its true appearance.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.