Medium fey, neutral evil
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 119 (14d8 + 56)
Speed 30 ft., swim 30 ft.
|19 (+4)||16 (+3)||18 (+4)||18 (+4)||22 (+6)||15 (+2)|
Skills Arcana +9, Deception +5, Insight +7, Perception +9
Condition Immunities charmed, poisoned
Senses blood sense 90 ft., darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 16
Languages Common, Druidic, Giant
Challenge 7 (2,900 XP)
- Amphibious. The hag can breathe air and water.
- Spellcasting. The hag is an 8th-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Wisdom (Spell save DC 17, +9 to hit with spell attacks). She requires no material components to cast her spells. The hag has the following druid spells prepared:
- Cantrips (at will): animal friendship (red hags treat this as a cantrip), poison spray, thorn whip
- 1st level (4 slots): cure wounds, entangle, speak with animals
- 2nd level (3 slots): barkskin, flame blade, lesser restoration
- 3rd level (3 slots): call lightning, conjure animals, dispel magic, meld into stone
- 4th level (2 slots): control water, dominate beast, freedom of movement, hallucinatory terrain
- Magic Resistance. The hag has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Blood Sense. A red hag automatically senses the presence of the blood of living creatures within 90 feet and can pinpoint their locations within 30 feet.
- Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 17 (3d8 + 4) slashing damage.
- Siphoning Aura (Recharge 5-6). The red hag radiates an aura in a 30-foot radius, lasting for 3 rounds, that draws all fluids out through a creature’s mouth, nose, eyes, ears, and pores. Every creature of the hag’s choosing that starts its turn in the affected area takes 18 (4d6 + 4) necrotic damage, or half damage with a successful DC 15 Constitution saving throw.
Unlike their hag kin, red hags are not horrid to look upon, and most are considered comely in their own right. Few know anything about them, and the hags do little to enlighten them, preferring their seclusion.
An elder race-much older than the elves, and as old as the dragons, they claim-red hags are the most cunning and longest-lived of the hags, having a lifespan of more than a thousand years.
Tied to Nature. The hags have a deep connection with all elements of nature, and they often make their homes in deep forests, in caves, or alongside coastlines.
Blood Magic. Because of their close connection to nature, red hags often serve as druids. Within their druidic circles, however, they practice blood sacrifices and perform ritualistic blood magic-both to slake their craving for humanoid blood, but also as a means to venerate goddesses of dark magic.
Red hags are more sociable among their own kind than other hags are, and may even live in small communities in remote areas. In ancient times, they settled together in larger clusters and ruled small cities of mixed populations. Their current leader is an ancient druid.
Their greatest city is an island metropolis of vast wealth and magical knowledge, sunk during a cataclysm, and the hags have been seeking its ruins ever since.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.