Medium undead, neutral evil
Armor Class 11
Hit Points 105 (14d8 + 42)
Speed 20 ft.
|14 (+2)||12 (+1)||18 (+4)||3 (-4)||12 (+1)||12 (+1)|
Saving Throws Wis +4, Cha +4
Skills Stealth +4
Damage Resistances acid, necrotic
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities blinded, charmed, deafened, exhaustion, frightened, poisoned, prone
Senses blindsight 60 ft. (blind beyond this radius), passive Perception 11
Languages understands the languages of its creator but can’t speak
Challenge 5 (1,800 XP)
- Amorphous. The sarcophagus slime can move through a space as narrow as 1 inch wide without squeezing.
- Multiattack. The sarcophagus slime uses its Frightful Presence, uses its Corrupting Gaze, and makes two slam attacks.
- Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (2d6 + 2) bludgeoning damage plus 14 (4d6) acid damage.
- Frightful Presence. Each creature of the sarcophagus slime’s choice that is within 60 feet of the sarcophagus slime and aware of it must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. A frightened creature repeats the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature’s saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the sarcophagus slime’s Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.
- Corrupting Gaze. The sarcophagus slime targets one creature it can see within 30 feet of it. If the target can see the sarcophagus slime, the target must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or take 14 (4d6) necrotic damage and its hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the necrotic damage taken. If this effect reduces a creature’s hit point maximum to 0, the creature dies and its corpse becomes a sarcophagus slime within 24 hours. This reduction lasts until the creature finishes a long rest or until it is affected by greater restoration or comparable magic.
The sarcophagus opens to reveal an eerie, scintillating light. Wisps of gelid amber ectoplasm undulate outward from a quivering mass with a blackened skull at its center.
Vigilant Slime. Sarcophagus slimes are amorphous undead guardians placed in the tombs of the powerful to guard them and to wreak terrible vengeance on would-be defilers of the ancient crypts. They seethe with baleful energy, and their blackened skulls retain a simple watchfulness.
Muddled Origins. Many sages speculate that the first sarcophagus slime was spawned accidentally, in a mummy creation ritual that gave life to the congealed contents of canopic jars rather than the intended, mummified body. Others maintain sarcophagus slime was created by a powerful necromancer-pharaoh bent on formulating the perfect alchemical sentry to guard his crypt.
Death to Tomb Robbers. These ectoplasmic slimes are the bane of burglars and a constant danger for excavators and antiquarians exploring ruins or tombs. The rituals for their creation have not been entirely lost; modern necromancers still create these undead abominations for their own fell purposes, and tomb robbers are turned into slimes if they lack proper caution.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.