Medium fey, chaotic evil
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 76 (9d8 + 36)
Speed 40 ft.
|18 (+4)||15 (+2)||18 (+4)||12 (+1)||14 (+2)||19 (+4)|
Saving Throws Dex +4, Con +6, Cha +6
Skills Perception +6, Performance +8
Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities acid, lightning
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 16
Languages Common, Elvish, Sylvan, Void Speech
Challenge 4 (1,100 XP)
- Innate Spellcasting. The selang’s innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 14). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- Multiattack. The selang makes two dagger attacks or two short bow attacks.
- Dagger. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d4 + 4) piercing damage, plus sleep poison.
- Short Bow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 80/320, one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage plus sleep poison.
- Sleep Poison. Dark satyrs coat their weapons with a sleep poison made from the brain fluids of dorreqi. Any creature not immune to poison injured by a selang blade or arrow must succeed on a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or fall asleep for 2d6 rounds.
- Alien Piping. A selang can confuse and injure its enemies by playing weird, ear-bending harmonies on alien pipes, made from the beaks, cartilage, and throat sacs of a dorreq. When the selang plays a tune on these pipes, all creatures within 60 feet must make a successful DC 14 Wisdom saving throw or be affected by contagion, confusion, irresistible dance, or hideous laughter, depending on what alien and otherworldly music the dark satyr chooses to play. A creature that saves successfully against this psychic effect is immune to the piping for 24 hours. The selang can use each of these spell-like effects once per day.
This grinning humanoid looks like a handsome man, though his skin is black as obsidian, his eye glow red, and he has both insectoid legs and antennae.
Dark Satyrs. The selang or dark satyrs are twisted and vicious fauns who have abandoned nature worship, and instead venerate ancient gods of deep and malign intelligence. Selangs seek to help those evil gods enter the mortal world by opening dark portals and bridging a path to realms beyond mortal understanding.
Battle Song and Laughter. Selangs relish battle, pain, and torture-they find violence thrilling and bloodshed exciting, and they often laugh, sing, and boast shamelessly during combat.
Although they are the diplomats and spokesmen of the old gods, their manic speech and alien logic can be hard to follow, requiring an Intelligence check (DC 16) to understand a dark satyr each round. They are most comfortable with the slithering tones of the Void Speech.
Blasphemous Music. Their cults and settlements are often found at the sites sacred to the dark gods, making hypnotic and alien harmonies with swarms of dorreqi. They are rarely the strongest soldiers, instead encouraging evil humanoids or other creatures of martial mien to fill the ranks, while the dark satyrs use their magic and poison against their foes.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.