Large humanoid (elf), neutral evil
Armor Class 15 (chain shirt)
Hit Points 110 (13d10 + 39)
Speed 30 ft.
|18 (+4)||14 (+2)||16 (+3)||6 (-2)||14 (+2)||8 (-1)|
Saving Throws Str +6, Con +5
Skills Athletics +6, Perception +4
Condition Immunities charmed, frightened
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 14
Languages Common, Elvish, Umbral
Challenge 4 (1,100 XP)
- Fey Ancestry. The shadow fey guardian has advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put it to sleep.
- Innate Spellcasting. The shadow fey’s innate spellcasting ability is Charisma. It can cast the following spells innately, requiring no material components.
- 1/day: misty step (when in shadows, dim light, or darkness only)
- Shadow’s Vigil. The shadow fey has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks, and magical darkness does not inhibit its darkvision.
- Sunlight Sensitivity. While in sunlight, the shadow fey has disadvantage on attack rolls and on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.
- Traveler in Darkness. The shadow fey has advantage on Intelligence (Arcana) checks made to know about shadow roads and shadow magic spells or items.
- Multiattack. The shadow fey makes two pike attacks.
- Pike. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 15 (2d10 + 4) piercing damage.
- Javelin. Ranged Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, range 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) piercing damage.
- Protect. The shadow fey guardian imposes disadvantage on an attack roll against an ally within 5 feet. The guardian must be wielding a melee weapon to use this reaction.
A hulking brute, this shadow fey towers over his fellows and wields massive weapons. Patches of his body are swallowed by inky blackness that writhes and crawls, distorting his form in places, and his eyes are hollow black pits.
Shadow fey guardians are massive creatures trained and bred for battle. They appear as massive versions of shadow fey, but the stuff of shadow corrupts them even more than their brethren, expanding their size and power to an ogrish strength. Patches of pitch black shadow swallow parts of their body and crawl about, revealing and obscuring more by inches at a time. They stand nearly 10 feet tall and weigh over 700 pounds.
Guardians are fanatically loyal to their superiors. Employed as house guards or even personal bodyguards for important shadow fey, guardians are unshakable in their duty. The shadow corruption reaches into their minds and souls, so that not even powerful magic can bend their hearts or break their resolve. Guardians aren’t independent thinkers, but they discharge their duty with single-minded dedication.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.