Huge elemental, chaotic neutral
Armor Class 19
Hit Points 225 (18d12 + 108)
Speed 0 ft., fly 60 ft. (hover)
|20 (+5)||19 (+4)||22 (+6)||11 (+0)||16 (+3)||11 (+0)|
Saving Throws Dex +9, Con +11
Damage Resistances acid, cold, fire
Damage Immunities lightning
Condition Immunities prone
Senses blindsight 30 ft., darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 13
Languages Common, Primordial
Challenge 15 (13,000 XP)
- Bone Wrack. When hit by the slow storm’s slam or breath weapon attack, the storm absorbs moisture from the living creatures’ joints, causing stiffness and pain. In addition to 1d4 Dexterity drain, any creature caught within the slow storm’s breath weapon that fails another DC 18 Constitution save suffers crushing pain in bones and joints. Any round in which the pained creature moves, it takes 1d4 necrotic damage per 5 feet moved. Bone wracking pain lasts until the affected creature regains at least 1 point of lost Dexterity.
- Innate Spellcasting. The slow storm’s innate spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 16). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- At will: lightning bolt
- 3/day: chain lightning Storm Form. A creature that enters or starts its turn inside the slow storm’s whirlwind takes 9 (2d8) force damage. A creature can take this damage just once per round. In addition, ranged missile weapon attacks against the slow storm have disadvantage because of the high-speed wind.
- Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 31 (4d12 + 5) bludgeoning damage plus 9 (2d8) piercing damage.
- Static Shock (Recharge 5-6). The slow storm exhales its electrical power in a 30-foot cone. Targets in the area of effect take 54 (12d8) lightning damage 1d4 Dexterity loss, and suffer bone wrack. A successful DC 18 Constitution saving throw halves the Dexterity loss and prevents the bone wrack.
Wisps of humid wind revolve around this spiny ball. Two massive black eyes and a dark mouth are the only features visible through its static straight quills.
Chaos Aging. Despite its comical appearance, a slow storm is a creature of chaos, able to visit the pains of old age on the young and fit. It turns the bodies of physically able creatures against them, forcing them to choose between relative inactivity or ever-increasing pain.
Surrounded by Wind. A slow storm is a smaller creature than the space it occupies, and its vulnerable physical body is protected by a cyclonic wind surrounding it. The slow storm occupies a space 15 feet square, but its physical body occupies just the center 5-foot space. The nucleus of a slow storm is a two-foot radius sphere weighing 75 lb. The rest of the space is “occupied” by protective, high-speed wind.
Static Generator. A slow storm has no internal organs other than its brain, and it lives on the energy and moisture it drains from opponents. Its quills not only deflect debris but also generate a ball of static electricity that delivers a shock attack.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.