Medium fiend, neutral evil
Armor Class 16
Hit Points 104 (16d8 + 32)
Speed 30 ft., fly 100 ft.
|13 (+1)||22 (+6)||14 (+2)||12 (+1)||11 (+0)||11 (+0)|
Saving Throws Dex +9, Con +5, Cha +3
Skills Intimidation +3, Perception +3, Stealth +9
Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities paralyzed, poisoned, stunned, unconscious
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 13
Challenge 7 (2,900 XP)
- Caster Link. When a soul eater is summoned, it creates a mental link between itself and its conjurer. If the soul eater’s assigned target (see Find Target ability, below) dies before the soul eater can drain the target’s soul, or if the soul eater is defeated by its target (but not slain), it returns to its conjurer at full speed and attacks. While the soul eater and the conjurer share the same plane, it can use its Find Target ability to locate its conjurer.
- Find Target. When a soul eater’s conjurer orders it to find a creature, it can do so unerringly, despite the distance or intervening obstacles, provided the target is on the same plane of existence. The conjurer must have seen the desired target and must speak the target’s name.
- Multiattack. The soul eater makes two claw attacks.
- Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d6 + 6) slashing damage plus 7 (2d6) psychic damage, or half as much psychic damage with a successful DC 15 Constitution saving throw.
- Soul Drain. If the soul eater reduces a target to 0 hit points, the soul eater can devour that creature’s soul as a bonus action. The victim must make a DC 13 Constitution saving throw. Success means the target is dead but can be restored to life by normal means. Failure means the target’s soul is consumed by the soul eater and the target can’t be restored to life with clone, raise dead, or reincarnation. A resurrection, miracle, or wish spell can return the target to life, but only if the caster succeeds on a DC 15 spellcasting check. If the soul eater is killed within 120 feet of its victim’s corpse and the victim has been dead for no longer than 1 minute, the victim’s soul returns to the body and restores it to life, leaving the victim unconscious and stable with 0 hit points.
Creatures of variable appearance, soul eaters conjoin fleshy elements with ectoplasmic forms.
Called from the Abyss. Soul eaters are summoned from the Abyss and other extraplanar ports of call where they can freely barter for prey. They always have a mental link with their summoner, and often seek to destroy them.
Devour Essences. Soul eaters do not devour crude flesh, instead feasting on a victim’s soul and spirit.
Hatred of the Sun God. They bear a particular antipathy for followers of the sun god, and they will go to great lengths to kill his clergy, even defying the wishes of their summoners on occasion.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.