Medium plant, lawful neutral
Armor Class 13 (studded leather armor)
Hit Points 34 (4d8 + 16)
Speed 30 ft.
|16 (+3)||12 (+1)||18 (+4)||6 (-2)||6 (-2)||8 (-1)|
Damage Vulnerabilities fire
Condition Immunities blinded, deafened
Senses blindsight 30 ft. (blind beyond this radius), passive Perception 8
Challenge 2 (450 XP)
- Regeneration. The tendril puppet regains 5 hit points at the start of its turn if it has at least 1 hit point and is in jungle terrain.
- Root Mind. Within a vine lord’s forest or jungle, the tendril puppet’s blindsight extends to 60 feet, it succeeds on all Wisdom (Perception) checks, and it can’t be surprised.
- Green Strider. The tendril puppet ignores movement restrictions and damage caused by natural undergrowth.
- Magic Resistance. The tendril puppet has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Assegai. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage, or 7 (1d8 + 3) piercing damage if used with two hands to make a melee attack.
- Hurl Thorns. Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 12 (2d8 + 3) piercing damage, and the thorn explodes in a 10-foot-radius sphere centered on the target. Every creature in the affected area other than the original target takes 4 (1d8) piercing damage, or half damage with a successful DC 13 Dexterity saving throw.
Moving in odd starts and jerks, these vegetal warriors have thin, green vines growing out from their empty eye sockets, mouth, and ears, and twining around their head, chest, and arms.
Any beast or humanoid can become a tendril puppet if infected by a vine lord.
Plant Sentries. Tendril puppets mindlessly attack creatures that threaten their forest or jungle. They have no sense of self-preservation and always fight to the death.
Poor Vision. Tendril puppets see almost nothing beyond 30 feet away.
Root Mind. All tendril puppets are connected through a shared consciousness called the root mind; if one tendril puppet is aware of danger, all tendril puppets are aware of it. This includes recognizing foes who slew other tendril puppets or who are wanted by a vine lord, druid, or duskthorn dryad who commands them.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.