Medium celestial, neutral
Armor Class 16 (chain mail) or 18 (chain mail with shield)
Hit Points 112 (15d8 + 45)
Speed 30 ft., fly 30 ft.
|18 (+4)||18 (+4)||16 (+3)||12 (+1)||19 (+4)||18 (+4)|
Saving Throws Str +12, Dex +12, Con +11, Int +5, Wis +8, Cha +12
Skills Perception +8
Damage Resistances acid, cold, fire, lightning, thunder
Damage Immunities bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Condition Immunities frightened
Senses truesight 60 ft., passive Perception 18
Languages Common, Dwarvish, Giant, and see Gift of Tongues
Challenge 11 (7,200 XP)
- Asgardian Weapons. The valkyrie’s weapon attacks are magical. When she hits with any weapon, it does an extra 11 (2d10) radiant damage (included in attacks listed below).
- Cloak of Doom. Any living creature that starts its turn within 60 feet of a valkyrie senses her unsettling presence and must succeed on a DC 16 Charisma saving throw or be frightened for 1d4 rounds. Those who succeed are immune to the effect for 24 hours. The valkyrie can suppress this aura at will.
- Gift of Tongues. Valkyries become fluent in any language they hear spoken for at least 1 minute, and they retain this knowledge forever.
- Innate Spellcasting. The valkyrie’s innate spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 16, +8 to hit with spell attacks). She can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d8 + 4) slashing damage or 9 (1d10 + 4) slashing damage if used with two hands, plus 11 (2d10) radiant damage.
- Spear. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6 + 4) piercing damage or 8 (1d8 + 4) piercing damage if used with two hands to make a melee attack, plus 11 (2d10) radiant damage.
A valkyrie can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. A valkyrie regains spent legendary actions at the start of her turn.
- Cast a Cantrip. The valkyrie casts one spell from her at-will list.
- Spear or Longsword Attack. The valkyrie makes one longsword or spear attack.
- Harvest the Fallen (Costs 2 Actions). A valkyrie can take the soul of a newly dead body and bind it into a weapon or shield. Only one soul can be bound to any object. Individuals whose souls are bound can’t be raised by any means short of a wish or comparable magic. A valkyrie can likewise release any soul that has been bound by another valkyrie, or transfer a bound soul from one object to another. Once bound, the soul grants the item a +1 bonus for every 4 character levels of the soul, and this replaces any other magic on the item. At the DM’s discretion, part of this bonus can become an appropriate special quality (a fire giant’s soul might create a flaming weapon, for example).
These warrior women, armed with cruel-looking swords, sit astride massive winged wolves. Each of them is as beautiful, graceful, and fierce as a well-honed war ax.
Choosers of the Slain. Valkyries are sent by Odin to decide the course of battles and harvest the souls of brave fallen warriors. Riding savage winged wolves (winter wolves with a fly speed of 80 feet), they visit battlefields to do their master’s will, surrounded by crows and ravens. Valkyries remain invisible during these missions, dispensing bane or bless spells as fate decrees.
Despise Humanoids. They love animals, especially birds, but are scornful of humanoids as weak and cowardly. All valkyries love battle and bloodshed, and many are savage and callous.
Neutral Parties. Valkyries seldom interfere in mortal affairs, save to ensure the proper course of battles. Upon occasion when duty demands, or sometimes as a punishment or, rarely, when they fall in love, a valkyrie may wander the mortal world.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.