Medium undead, neutral evil
Armor Class 9 (natural armor)
Hit Points 22 (3d8 + 9)
Speed 20 ft., swim 30 ft.
|13 (+1)||6 (‒2)||16 (+3)||3 (‒4)||6 (‒2)||5 (‒3)|
Saving Throws Wis +0
Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities cold, necrotic, poison; bludgeoning, piercing and slashing from nonmagical weapons (only when in ethereal form)
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 8
Languages understand Void Speech and the languages it knew in life but can’t speak
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
- Dual State. Like its nihileth creator, a nihilethic zombie can assume either a material or ethereal form. When in its material form, it has resistance to nonmagical weapons. In its ethereal form, it is immune to nonmagical weapons. Its ethereal form appears as a dark purple outline of its material form, with a blackish-purple haze within.
- Zombie Nature. Unless noted otherwise, a nihilethic zombie has the same traits as a zombie, including their Undead Fortitude.
- Slam (Material Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d6 + 1) bludgeoning damage and the target must make a successful DC 13 Constitution saving throw or become diseased. The disease has little effect for 1 minute; during that time, it can be removed by bless, lesser restoration, or comparable magic. After 1 minute, the diseased creature’s skin becomes translucent and slimy. The creature cannot regain hit points unless it is at least partially underwater, and the disease can only be removed by heal or comparable magic. Unless the creature is either fully submerged or frequently doused with water, it takes 6 (1d12) acid damage every 10 minutes. If a creature dies while diseased, it rises in 2d6 rounds as a nihilethic zombie. This zombie is permanently dominated by the nihileth that commands the attacking zombie.
- Withering Touch (Ethereal Form). Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d6 + 1) necrotic damage.
- Form Swap. As a bonus action, the nihilethic zombie can alter between its material and ethereal forms at will.
- Void Body. As a reaction, the nihilethic zombie can reduce the damage it takes from a single source by 1d12 points. This reduction cannot be applied to divine damage.
- Sacrifice Life. A nihilethic zombie can sacrifice itself to heal a nihileth within 30 feet of it. All of its remaining hit points transfer to the nihileth in the form of healing. The nihilethic zombie is reduced to 0 hit points and it doesn’t make an Undead Fortitude saving throw. A nihileth cannot be healed above its maximum hit points in this manner.
Created by the diseased will of nihileths, these zombies do their creator’s bidding without fear or hesitation. While their appearance differs from typical zombies, they too move with the same jerky motions and uneven gait as their undead brethren.
The skin and flesh of nihileth zombies is translucent and slimy. They are adept swimmers, and they have no difficulty functioning on dry land, always in service to their masters.
What Is Void Speech?
Void Speech is the language of creatures of the Outer Darkness, spoken by vile things that are malevolent towards humans and their allies, and that seek to bring about ruinous apocalypse of dark gods. Substitute any ancient language with an evil reputation if you are using another setting.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.