Small aberration, lawful evil
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 71 (13d6 + 26)
Speed 40 ft.
|13 (+1)||19 (+4)||15 (+2)||12 (+1)||12 (+1)||18 (+4)|
Saving Throws Dex +7, Int +4, Cha +7
Skills Deception +7, Perception +4, Stealth +7
Damage Resistances fire, lightning; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Senses blindsight 60 ft., passive Perception 14
Languages understands Deep Speech but can’t speak, telepathy 60 ft.
Challenge 7 (2,900 XP)
- Innate Spellcasting (Psionics): The intellect devourer’s innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 15, +7 to hit with spell attacks). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- At will: confusion (single target only), detect magic, detect thoughts, enlarge/reduce (self only), inflict wounds (5d10), invisibility
- 3/day each: cure wounds (2d8 + 4), globe of invulnerability
- Magic Resistance: The intellect devourer has advantage on saving throws against spells.
- Multiattack: The intellect devourer makes two Intelligence Drain attacks.
- Intelligence Drain: Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 15 (2d10 + 4) psychic damage, and the target’s Intelligence score is reduced by 1d4. The target is stunned if this reduces its Intelligence to 0. The reduction lasts until the target finishes a short or long rest.
- Body Thief: The intellect devourer targets a creature within 5 feet of it that is incapacitated, or that has died within the last minute. An incapacitated creature must succeed on a DC 15 Intelligence saving throw or take 54 (12d8) psychic damage. If this damage reduces the target to 0 hit points, the target heals 1 hit point and is possessed by the intellect devourer. If the target was dead, it returns to life with 1 hit point and is possessed by the intellect devourer.
The intellect devourer psionically consumes the brain of a creature it posseses, and replaces it. The intellect devourer can’t be targeted by any attack, spell, or other effect, except protection from good and evil, and it retains its alignment, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma. It otherwise uses the possessed target’s statistics, gaining access to the target’s knowledge, class features, and proficiencies.
The possession lasts until the body drops to 0 hit points, the intellect devourer ends it as a bonus action, or the intellect devourer is forced out by an effect like protection from good and evil. When the possession ends, the intellect devourer reappears in an unoccupied space within 5 feet of the body. The body then dies, unless its brain is restored within 1 round.
The following description was not included in the official SRD, and does not affect any rules or mechanics written therein.
Devoid of a head, or any features at all save for four short, clawed legs, this creature’s body looks like a large, glistening brain.
System Reference Document Copyright 2000-2003, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.; Authors Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams, Rich Baker, Andy Collins, David Noonan, Rich Redman, Bruce R. Cordell, John D. Rateliff, Thomas Reid, James Wyatt, based on original material by E. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson.