Gargantuan beast, unaligned
Armor Class 17 (natural armor)
Hit Points 279 (18d20+90)
Speed 0 ft., swim 40 ft.
|30 (+10)||6 (-2)||20 (+5)||10 (+0)||12 (+1)||8 (-1)|
Saving Throws Strength+16, Dexterity+4, Constitution+11, Wisdom+7, Charisma+5
Skills Insight +7, Perception +7, Stealth +4
Senses blindsight 120 ft.; passive Perception 17
Challenge 17 (18,000 XP)
- Echolocation. The whale can’t use its blindsight while deafened.
- Hold Breath. The whale can hold its breath for 90 minutes.
- Keen Hearing. The whale has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing.
- Legendary Resistance (1/Day). If the whale fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
- Siege Monster. The whale deals double damage to objects and structures.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +16 to hit, reach 20 ft., one target. Hit: 31 (6d6 + 10) piercing damage. If the whale scores a critical hit, it rolls damage dice three times, instead of twice.
- Tail Slap. Melee Weapon Attack: +16 to hit, reach 30 ft., one target. Hit: 20 (3d6 + 10) bludgeoning damage.
- Smashing Breach. A great white whale can make a special attack against creatures on the surface of the water. At the end of its movement it can occupy one or more creature’s spaces. Any Huge or smaller creatures in the whale’s space must succeed at a DC 24 Dexterity saving throw or take 28 (4d8+10) bludgeoning damage and be forced into the nearest square that is adjacent to the whale. This breach automatically attempts to capsize any boats caught wholly or partially in this area. If the whale fails to displace everything in its space, it is forced back to its previous unoccupied location, or if that is not possible, the nearest space it can fit.
The great white whale can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The whale regains spent legendary actions at the start of his turn.
- Detect. The whale makes a Wisdom (Perception) check.
- Tail Attack. The whale makes a tail slap.
- Underwater Surge (Costs 2 actions). The whale moves up to its swim speed without provoking opportunity attacks and uses Smashing Breach.
This immense whale has an enormous, box-shaped head over a massive, toothy maw. Its rough white hide is laced with scars. Legendary in size and temper, great white whales are far more aggressive than their smaller kin, over 80 feet long and weighing over 60 tons.
Pirate Campaign Compendium © 2018, Legendary Games; Lead Designer Jason Nelson. Authors: Alex Augunas, Jeff Gomez, Matt Goodall, Jim Groves, Tim Hitchcock, Victoria Jaczko, Jonathan H. Keith, Lyz Liddell, Thomas J. Phillips, Alistair J. Rigg, Alex Riggs, Loren Sieg, Neil Spicer, Todd Stewart, Rachel Ventura, Michael D. Welham, Linda Zayas-Palmer.