This elephant-sized beast has a pronounced snout with large canine teeth and claws like longswords.
Large beast, unaligned
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 168 (16d10 + 80)
Speed 20 ft., climb 20 ft.
|19 (+4)||10 (+0)||19 (+4)||3 (-4)||12 (+1)||10 (+0)|
- Foul Odor. Any creature that starts its turn within 15 feet of the giant sloth must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or have disadvantage on its next attack roll or ability check.
- Hunter’s Dash (1/day). The giant sloth moves double its normal speed and has advantage on all of its attacks for 1 round.
- Multiattack. The giant sloth makes two attacks: one with its claw and one with its bite. If the giant sloth is grappling a creature, it can also use its Sloth’s Embrace once.
- Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (3d6 + 4) slashing damage. The target is grappled (escape DC 15) if it is a Large or smaller creature and the sloth doesn’t have another creature grappled.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 17 (3d8 + 4) piercing damage.
- Sloth’s Embrace. The giant sloth crushes a creature it is grappling by pulling the creature against its fetid, furry chest. The target must make a DC 15 Strength saving throw, taking 27 (6d8) bludgeoning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. A creature that fails the save is also stunned until the end of its next turn.
It spends most of its life slowly digesting its latest meal in its cool burrow.
Burrowers and Diggers. The carnivorous giant sloth lives in great dirt mounds dug to its satisfaction in hilly or grassland areas. Below the mound is a series of tunnels dug for escape and the storage of recent kills.
Hunter at the Water’s Edge. These clever predators bury themselves in mud and grass and wait beside rivers, lakes, and ponds for prey to draw near. Once within range, the sloth moves with surprising speed and, like a trapdoor spider, rushes out to pull its prey back into its hunting hole.
Fetid Coats. The fur of the giant sloth is a matted nightmare of mud, blood, viscera, and mold. They apply fresh coats of mud when preparing to hunt, masking their scent for a short time.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.