Ykcor, the Windstorm is a most unusual kaiju, taking the form of a stupendously overgrown flying squirrel. Its appearance can be misleading, however; it hides surprising power and a mythic past.
Friend to the Innocent. To the very young or the purehearted, Ykcor, the Windstorm can be a potent and tireless ally. It cannot sense the evils in a person’s heart, but it has a peculiar disdain for those who gossip against their neighbors. For such people, it accepts them as a rider, only to shake them off at great heights.
Fallen from the World-Tree. Ratatoskr, the legendary squirrels that climb the World-Tree, are the ancestors of Ykcor, the Windstorm. They carry ill tidings and stir up feuds, but it has taken a more benevolent role in the Material Plane, aiding those who are not yet given to feuding.
Gargantuan beast, neutral
Armor Class 18 (natural armor)
Hit Points 145 (10d20 + 40)
Speed 40 ft., fly 100 ft.
|20 (+5)||14 (+2)||18 (+4)||3 (-4)||12 (+1)||6 (-2)|
Saving Throws Dexterity+6
Skills Acrobatics +6, Athletics, +9, Perception +5
Damage Resistances acid, cold, fire, lightning, necrotic, thunder
Senses darkvision 600 ft., passive Perception 15
Challenge 9 (5,000 XP)
- Lesser Kaiju. Lesser kaiju are larger than all but the greatest monsters adventurers face. Conventional weapons, even highly-enchanted ones, lack the mass to deal serious wounds to a kaiju. The same is true for all but the mightiest spells. When a creature of Large size or smaller deals damage to a lesser kaiju with a weapon or feature, or with a spell of 7th level or lower, its damage is halved, and can be reduced further by resistance or saving throws. Siege weapons and creatures with the Siege Monster trait are treated like Gargantuan creatures. Creatures of size Large and smaller can move through or occupy a kaiju’s space. Huge or larger creatures and 8th-level spells (including lower-level spells cast with 8th-level slots) deal normal damage, which can be reduced further by resistance or saving throws. Lesser kaiju deal double damage to objects and structures. They ignore normal difficult terrain.
- Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If Ykcor, the Windstorm fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
- Glide. When Ykcor, the Windstorm ends its turn in the air, it loses 10 feet of altitude.
- Flyby. Ykcor, the Windstorm does not provoke opportunity attacks when it flies out of an enemy’s reach.
- Flying Charge. While flying, Ykcor, the Windstorm can charge a target. It must fly at least 20 feet in a straight line toward the target. It makes a bite attack with advantage. If it hits, it deals 26 (6d6 + 5) piercing damage.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 15 (3d6 + 5) piercing damage.
Ykcor, the Windstorm can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. Ykcor, the Windstorm regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
- Bite. Ykcor, the Windstorm makes a bite attack.
- Move. Ykcor, the Windstorm moves up to half its speed.
- Recover. Ykcor, the Windstorm regains 25 hit points. Once it uses this ability, it cannot do so again until the end of its next turn.
Kaiju Codex. © copyright 2015 Steven D. Russell; Authors Elaine Betts and Justin P. Sluder