Pale-skinned, beautiful humanoids without gender, these angels are wrapped in black, swirling mist in the shape of elegant robes.
Medium celestial, neutral good
Armor Class 16 (natural armor)
Hit Points 104 (16d8 + 32)
Speed 30 ft., fly 40 ft.
|18 (+4)||10 (+0)||14 (+2)||10 (+0)||19 (+4)||12 (+1)|
Saving Throws Wis+7, Charisma +4
Skills Insight +7, Perception +7
Damage Resistances radiant; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 17
Languages all, telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 7 (2,900 XP)
- Angelic Weapons. The sammael’s weapon attacks are magical. When the sammael hits with any weapon, the weapon deals an extra 2d8 radiant damage (included in the attack).
- Sacred Duty. The sammael angel can use its bonus action to shift its purpose between Destructor, Executioner, and Punisher.
- Destructor. The sammael’s purpose is to destroy unholy monuments and statues. Its weapon attacks deal double damage to objects and structures.
- Executioner. The sammael’s purpose is to slay a specific creature. The angel has advantage on attack rolls against a specific creature, chosen by its deity. As long as the angel and the victim are on the same plane of existence, the angel knows the precise location of the creature.
- Punisher. The sammael’s purpose is to punish, but not kill, creatures, inflicting long-term suffering on those of its deity’s choosing. A creature reduced to 0 hp by the angel loses 3 (1d6) Charisma as its body is horribly scarred by the deity’s retribution. The scars last until the creature is cured by the greater restoration spell or similar magic.
- Multiattack. The sammael makes two melee attacks.
- Greataxe (Executioner Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (1d12 + 4) slashing damage plus 9 (2d8) radiant damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 16 Wisdom saving throw or be frightened until the end of its next turn.
- Slam (Destructor Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) fire damage plus 9 (2d8) radiant damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 16 Strength saving throw or be pushed 10 feet away from the angel.
- Whip (Punisher Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d4 + 4) slashing damage plus 9 (2d8) radiant damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 16 Constitution saving throw or be stunned until the end of its next turn. A creature’s hp maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the radiant damage taken. This reduction lasts until the creature finishes a short or long rest.
Three Forms. The sammael angels are often referred to as the “Gods’ Severity,” owing to the grim tasks assigned them. They are the angels burdened with execution, destruction, and punishment. Their weapons and tactics vary depending on the nature of their assignments. Executioners appear as muscled warriors, wielding massive, radiant axes. Destructors arrive with flaming fists and wield both elemental and divine magic. Punishers arrive with cruel whips, whose lashes sear both body and soul.
Strong-Willed. Despite the dark nature of their work, sammael angels show no malice on their luminescent visages. Though their assigned tasks often run counter to their alignment and divine nature, the angels maintain their inherent goodness. This strength of will makes them unshakable in combat.
Immortal Nature. The sammael angel doesn’t require food, drink, or sleep.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.