Chattering creatures with a superficial similarity to squirrels, the ratatosk have tiny tusks and fur that shimmers in a way that defies the surrounding light.
Tiny celestial, chaotic neutral
Armor Class 14
Hit Points 42 (12d4 + 12)
Speed 20 ft., climb 20 ft.
|4 (-3)||18 (+4)||12 (+1)||17 (+3)||10 (+0)||18 (+4)|
Saving Throws Wis +4, Cha +6
Skills Deception +6, Persuasion +6, Stealth +6
Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from nonmagical weapons
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages Celestial, Common; telepathy 100 ft.
Challenge 4 (1,100 XP)
- Innate Spellcasting. The ratatosk’s spellcasting attribute is Charisma (save DC 14). It can innately cast the following spells without requiring material or somatic components:
- At will: animal messenger, message, vicious mockery
- 1/day each: commune, mirror image
- 3/day each: sending, suggestion
- Skitter. The ratatosk can take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action as a bonus action on each of its turns.
- Gore. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 piercing damage plus 14 (4d6) psychic damage and the target must make a successful DC 14 Wisdom saving throw or be charmed for 1 round. While charmed in this way, the creature regards one randomly determined ally as a foe.
- Divisive Chatter (recharge 5-6). Up to six creatures within 30 feet that can hear the ratatosk must make DC 14 Charisma saving throws. On a failure, the creature is affected as if by a confusion spell for 1 minute. An affected creature repeats the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
- Desperate Lies. A creature that can hear the ratatosk must make a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw when it attacks the ratatosk. If the saving throw fails, the creature still attacks, but it must choose a different target creature. An ally must be chosen if no other enemies are within the attack‘s reach or range. If no other target is in the attack‘s range or reach, the attack is still made (and ammunition or a spell slot is expended, if appropriate) but it automatically misses and has no effect.
Sleek-furred Celestials. The ratatosk is a celestial being that is very much convinced of its own indispensable place in the multiverse. Its fur is sleek, and it takes great pride in the cleaning and maintaining of its tusks.
Planar Messengers. Ratatosks were created to carry messages across the planes, bearing word between gods and their servants. Somewhere across the vast march of ages, their nature twisted away from that purpose. Much speculation as to the exact cause of this change continues to occupy sages.
Maddening Gossips. Ratatosk are insatiable tricksters. Their constant chatter is not the mere nattering of their animal counterparts, it is a never-ending celestial gossip network. Ratatosk delight in learning secrets, and spreading those secrets in mischievous ways. It’s common for two listeners to hear vastly different words when a ratatosk speaks, and for that misunderstanding to lead to blows.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.