The king of spirits manifests as a large lion with thick, white fur. He wears a red mask and his body is adorned with gilded armor, polished to a mirror finish.
Large celestial, lawful good
Armor Class 20 (natural armor)
Hit Points 225 (18d10 + 126)
Speed 60 ft., fly 60 ft.
|25 (+7)||20 (+5)||25 (+7)||18 (+4)||23 (+6)||22 (+6)|
Saving Throws Constitution +13, Wisdom +12, Charisma +12
Skills Insight +12, Perception +12, Persuasion +12
Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Damage Immunities radiant
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened
Senses truesight 120 ft., passive Perception 22
Languages all, telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 17 (18,000 XP)
- Aura of Protection. All allies within 30 feet of the king of spirits gain a +6 bonus to saving throws as long as the king of spirits is conscious.
- Divine Weapons. The king of spirits’s weapon attacks are magical. When he hits with any weapon, the weapon deals an extra 18 (4d8) radiant damage (already included below).
- Magic Resistance. The king of spirits has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Pack Tactics. The king of spirits has advantage on attack rolls against a creature if at least one of his allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn’t incapacitated.
- Multiattack. The king of spirits makes two attacks: one with his bite and one with his claws.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (1d8 + 7) piercing damage plus 18 (4d8) radiant damage.
- Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (1d6 + 7) slashing damage plus 18 (4d8) radiant damage.
- Summon Spirit (1/day). The king of spirits can summon any combination of 2d4 good-aligned ghosts, uraeuses, or couatls; 1d4 temple dogs, unicorns, or good-aligned wraiths; or one buraq or deva. The spirits and celestials appear in unoccupied spaces within 60 feet of the king of spirits and act as his allies. They remain for 1 minute or until the king of spirits dismisses them as an action.
- Divine Protection. When a creature makes an attack against the king of spirits or one of his allies within 30 feet, the king of spirits grants the target of the attack a +5 bonus to its AC until the start of his next turn.
The king of spirits can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The king of spirits regains spent legendary actions at the start of his turn.
- Claw. The king of spirits makes one claw attack.
- Enlightening Roar. Each creature he chooses within 30 feet of him can immediately repeat a saving throw to end one condition currently affecting it.
- Divine Command (Costs 2 Actions). The king of spirits roars a command at one allied undead or celestial within 30 feet of him. It can move up to its speed and make one attack as a reaction. The creature doesn’t provoke an opportunity attack from this movement.
Sworn Enemies. The king of spirits has sworn his life to the defeat of his former lover, the demon queen of witches. Though he works to spread harmony throughout existence, much of his time is spent countering her schemes.
Celestial Allies. The king of spirits is rarely without an entourage of like-minded celestials ready to aid him at a moment’s notice. Good-aligned ghosts and wraiths flock to him, particularly those wronged by loved ones or who fell victim to the demon queen of witches and the machinations of her worshipers.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.