Gargantuan construct, lawful good
Armor Class 24 (natural armor)
Hit Points 500 (40d10 + 280)
Speed 50 ft.
|30 (+10)||16 (+3)||24 (+7)||13 (+1)||10 (+0)||10 (+0)|
Damage Vulnerabilities lightning
Damage Immunities fire, poison, psychic; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons that aren’t adamantine
Languages Celestial, Common (can’t speak)
Challenge 25 (75,000 XP)
- Colossal Creatures. Kaiju are creatures far larger than the scale of others. Conventional weapons, even highly-enchanted ones, lack the mass to deal serious wounds to a kaiju. The same is true for all but the mightiest spells. When a creature of Huge size or smaller deals damage to a kaiju with a weapon or feature, or with a spell of 8th level or lower, it deals half damage, which can be reduced further by resistance or saving throws. Siege weapons and creatures with the Siege Monster trait are treated like Gargantuan creatures. Gargantuan creatures and 9th-level spells (including lower-level spells cast with 9th-level slots) deal normal damage, which can be reduced further by resistance or saving throws. Kaiju deal double damage to objects and structures.
- Immutable Form. Adam, the Defender is immune to any spell or effect that would alter its form.
- Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If Adam, the Defender fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
- Magic Resistance. Adam, the Defender has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Magic Weapons. Adam, the Defender’s weapon attacks are magical.
- Multiattack. Adam, the Defender makes three attacks, in any combination of slams and cannon shots.
- Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +18 to hit, reach 30 ft., one target. Hit: 31 (6d6 + 10) bludgeoning damage, and the target must succeed on a DC 20 Constitution saving throw or be stunned until the end of its next turn.
- Cannon. Ranged Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, range 200/800 ft., one target. Hit: 38 (10d6 + 3) bludgeoning damage. Adam, the Defender can hold up to 50 cannonballs, and can replenish its reserve of cannonballs from common raw materials.
Adam, the Defender can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. Adam, the Defender regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
- Slam. Adam, the Defender makes a slam attack.
- Cannon. Adam, the Defender makes a cannon attack.
- Recover. Adam, the Defender regains 75 hit points. Once it uses this ability, it can’t do so again until the end of its next turn.
Adam, the Defender, is surely one of the greatest achievements of mortal hands, an advanced clockwork warrior powerful enough to go toe-to-toe with the unstoppable power of the kaiju. Copper, steel, and ingenuity stand fast against the worst terrors that the world can produce, guided by the benign intellect of a human warrior who was slain in battle.
Powered by Clockwork. Adam, the Defender is powered by the wind-up mechanisms of clockwork. When wound, it can operate at full capacity for 100 days. The intelligence that powers Adam, the Defender pays attention to its remaining power and other logistical requirements, though conflicts serious enough to merit its involvement sometimes give it no choice but to run itself out of power.
Border Guardian. Adam, the Defender was built to defend a human settlement on elven lands, but it has since rejected that mission. It now works as a solitary peacekeeper in that contested valley, defending both sides from aggressors. It could be persuaded to abandon this task in favor of greater conflicts, if doing so would not obviously harm the elves or the humans, or encourage them to go back to war with one another.
Kaiju Codex. © copyright 2015 Steven D. Russell; Authors Elaine Betts and Justin P. Sluder