The ticking of their gears is all the warning some victims ever hear.
Medium construct, unaligned
Armor Class 16 (natural armor)
Hit Points 99 (18d8 + 18)
Speed 30 ft., climb 30 ft.
|14 (+2)||17 (+3)||12 (+1)||12 (+1)||12 (+1)||7 (–2)|
Saving Throws Dexterity +6, Constitution +4
Skills Acrobatics +6, Stealth +9, Investigation +4, Perception +4, Survival +4
Damage Immunities lightning, poison
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 14
Languages understands Common but can’t speak
Challenge 6 (2,300 XP)
- Assassinate. During its first turn, the assassin has advantage on attack rolls against any creature that hasn’t taken a turn. Any hit the assassin scores against a surprised creature is a critical hit.
- Explosive Core. When the assassin is destroyed, its core explodes, projecting superheated steam and shrapnel. Each creature within 5 feet of the construct must make a DC 13 Dexterity saving throw, taking 10 (3d6) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
- Clockwork Immutable Form. The assassin is immune to any spell or effect, other than its disassembly trait, that would alter its form.
- Magic Resistance. The assassin has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Psychic Susceptibility. If the assassin takes psychic damage, it has disadvantage on attack rolls, saving throws, and ability checks until the end of its next turn.
- Sneak Attack (1/Turn). The assassin deals an extra 10 (3d6) damage when it hits a target with a weapon attack and has advantage on the attack roll, or when the target is within 5 feet of an ally of the assassin that isn’t incapacitated and the assassin doesn’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.
- Standing Leap. The assassin’s long jump is up to 20 feet and its high jump is up to 10 feet, with or without a running start.
- Multiattack. The clockwork assassin makes two rapier attacks.
- Rapier. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) piercing damage and the target must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or take 11 (2d10) poison damage and be poisoned for 1 minute.
- Disassembly. The assassin breaks its body down into a snakelike, segmented cylinder, which allows it to move through a space as narrow as 6 inches wide. It can reassemble itself into its true form by using this action again. While disassembled into its snake form, the assassin can’t attack and attack rolls against it have advantage.
Clockwork servants, soldiers, and even killers exist in societies with sufficiently advanced metallurgy and schools of clockwork magic.
Construct Nature. A clockwork creature doesn’t require air, food, drink, or sleep.
Single-minded Killers. A deadly, sentient tool and a lucrative investment for those who would hire them out, a clockwork assassin is a cold and efficient killer with no concern for its own well being.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.