A twelve-foot-tall granite carving of a great warrior lunges to attack.
Large construct, unaligned
Armor Class 18 (natural armor)
Hit Points 8 (1d10 + 3)
Speed 30 ft.
|16 (+3)||12 (+1)||16 (+3)||6 (-2)||8 (-1)||1 (-5)|
Skills Perception +2, Stealth +4, Survival +5
Damage Immunities poison, psychic; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks not made with adamantine
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 12
Languages understands the languages of its creator but can’t speak
Challenge 8 (3,900 XP)
- Fractalize. When the golem is reduced to 0 hp, it explodes. Each creature within 5 feet of it, except for other fractal golems, must succeed on a DC 14 Dexterity saving throw or take 4 (1d8) force damage and be pushed back 5 feet. Two duplicate fractal golems appear in the golem’s space and the nearest unoccupied space, each with the same statistics as the original fractal golem, except one size smaller. When a Tiny duplicate of the golem is reduced to 0 hp, it explodes and doesn’t duplicate. All duplicates act on the same initiative.
- Immutable Form. The golem is immune to any spell or effect that would alter its form.
- Magic Resistance. The golem has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Magic Weapons. The golem’s weapon attacks are magical.
- Construct Nature. A golem doesn’t require air, food, drink, or sleep.
- Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (3d6 + 3) bludgeoning damage.
Fractal golems are usually composed of granite. They are thin, long of limbs, and intricately carved. While looking like menacing hulks, these constructs are able trackers and lurkers.
Programmed Hunters. Fractal golems are often used as bodyguards or arcane bounty hunters, knocking their quarry unconscious and bringing it back to their masters. A fractal golem’s creator can imprint the golem with a specified individual the creator wants the construct to capture.
Exploding Duplicates. Like other golems, fractal golems are nearly impervious to spells and ordinary weapons. However, when they would ordinarily be destroyed, they explode and split into smaller parts. Travelers fighting what they might have mistaken for an ordinary stone construct could end up fighting eight tiny golems, each with the power of the original. Once split, a fractal golem can’t be healed or returned to its previous form.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.