All the colors of the rainbow shimmer within a cloud. It coalesces into a vaguely humanoid form that smells of ozone and ash.
Medium construct, unaligned
Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 90 (12d10 + 24)
Speed 60 ft., fly 60 ft.
|6 (-3)||14 (+2)||14 (+2)||16 (+3)||8 (-1)||1 (-5)|
Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from magical weapons
Damage Immunities acid, cold, fire, lightning, necrotic, poison, psychic, radiant, thunder
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned
Senses truesight 120 ft., passive Perception 9
Languages understands the languages of its creator but can’t speak
Challenge 8 (3,900 XP)
- Amorphous. The manastorm golem can move through a space as narrow as 1 inch wide without squeezing.
- Limited Mutability. Any spell or effect that would alter the golem’s form only alters it for 1 round. Afterwards, the manastorm golem returns to its humanoid-shaped cloud form.
- Magic Resistance. The golem has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Magic Weapons. The golem’s weapon attacks are magical.
- Mystic Messages. The manastorm golem can communicate with its maker via magical whispers at a distance up to 120 feet. Only its master hears these messages and can reply. Its messages go through solid objects but are halted by stone, magical silence, a sheet of lead, and similar obstacles. Its voice can travel through keyholes and around corners.
- Construct Nature. A golem doesn’t require air, food, drink, or sleep.
- Multiattack. The golem makes two slam attacks. If both attacks hit a single living creature, the creature is stunned until the end of its next turn.
- Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (2d10 + 3) force damage.
- Force Bolt. Ranged Spell Attack: +6 to hit, range 120/480 ft., one target. Hit: 25 (4d10 + 3) force damage.
A Golem Without Form. The manastorm golem is the creation of a master wizard who harnesses the magic around it to create a construct without the need for materials; it makes the creature from magic itself. The golem is malleable and amorphous, expanding and contracting as needed, but it always reforms into a vaguely humanoid-shaped cloud of energy.
Intelligent and Communicative. The manastorm golem is unique among its cousins because it is given an inherent intelligence from its creator. This, and its ability to fly, makes it a perfect scout. The golem can fly somewhere, investigate the area, and return with information, conveying it to the golem’s master via magical whispers.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.