This pale gray, angular, stone column dominates the horizon, eldritch sigils decorating its surface. As night descends, these glyphs glow with an unearthly pinkish-white light.
Huge construct, chaotic neutral
Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 90 (12d12 + 12)
Speed 0 ft. (immobile)
|9 (–1)||1 (–5)||13 (+1)||18 (+4)||8 (–1)||13 (+1)|
Saving Throws Constitution +3, Wisdom +1
Skills Arcana +6, History +6
Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 9
Languages understands Common but can’t speak, telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 4 (1,100 XP)
- Mental Agility. The pillar uses its Intelligence instead of its Dexterity to determine its place in the initiative order.
- Shocking Vengeance. A creature that touches the pillar or hits it with a melee attack while within 5 feet of it takes 3 (1d6) lightning damage.
- Anger of the Ancient Mage. The pillar of lost magocracy unleashes a random magical attack on a target or area within 120 feet. Roll a d4 to determine the effect:
- Mutant Plants. Grasping tendrils of alien vegetation sprout from the ground in a 20-foot radius centered on a point the pillar can see within 120 feet. The area becomes difficult terrain, and each creature in the area must succeed on a DC 14 Strength saving throw or become restrained. Treat as an entangle spell, except it only lasts for 2d4 rounds.
- Acid Rain. Corrosive acid falls from the sky centered on a point the pillar can see within 120 feet. Each creature in a 20-foot-radius, 40-foot-high cylinder must make a DC 14 Dexterity saving throw, taking 13 (3d8) acid damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
- Noxious Cloud. The pillar creates a 20-foot-radius sphere of reddish, stinging mist centered on a point it can see within 120 feet. The area is heavily obscured, and each creature inside the cloud at the start of its turn must make a DC 14 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, the creature takes 13 (3d8) poison damage and is blinded until the start of its next turn. On a success, the creature takes half the damage and isn’t blinded. The cloud lasts for 1d4 rounds.
- Shrinking Ray. A bright green ray strikes a single creature within 120 feet. The creature must succeed on a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or be shrunk to half its size. Treat as an enlarge/reduce spell, except it lasts for 2d4 rounds.
Hazards of the Wastes. These strange pillars date back to ancient wizard kingdoms destroyed in ancient arcane wars. Each holds the insane spirit of a wizard slain during the wars. Most of the time, these spirits are half-asleep, and the pillars act as hazards, discharging magical energy at sunset and sunrise.
Awakened Spirits. When the stars are right, however, the spirit of the ancient mage within the pillar awakens. Sworn to defend its magocracy, the spirit views nearby creatures as agents of a rival magocracy. The pillar’s sigils glow brightly as it unleashes warped magic on nearby creatures.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.