Huge dragon, neutral
Armor Class 18 (natural armor)
Hit Points 184 (16d12 + 80)
Speed 40 ft., fly 80 ft.
|27 (+8)||18 (+4)||21 (+5)||20 (+5)||21 (+5)||20 (+5)|
Saving Throws Dex +9, Con +10, Int +10, Wis +10, Cha +10
Skills Athletics +13, History +10, Insight +10, Perception +10, Persuasion +10 Damage Resistance bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities acid, charm, thunder
Condition Immunities charmed
Senses blindsight 60 ft., darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 20
Languages Celestial, Common, Draconic, Primordial
Challenge 14 (11,500 XP)
- Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If the dragon fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
- Innate Spellcasting. The dragon’s innate spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 18, +10 to hit with spell attacks). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- Spellcasting. The dragon is a 6th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 18, +10 to hit with spell attacks). It requires no material components to cast its spells. The dragon has the following wizard spells prepared:
- Multiattack. The dragon can use its Frightful Presence. It then makes three attacks: one with its bite and two with its claws.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 19 (2d10 + 8) piercing damage.
- Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 15 (2d6 +8) slashing damage, and the target loses 4 hit points from bleeding at the start of each of its turns for six rounds unless it receives magical healing. Bleeding damage is cumulative; the target loses 4 hp per round for each bleeding wound it’s taken from a mithral dragon’s claws.
- Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 17 (2d8 + 8) bludgeoning damage.
- Frightful Presence. Each creature of the dragon’s choice that is within 120 feet of the dragon and aware of it must succeed on a DC 18 Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of its turn, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature’s 1 saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the dragon’s Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.
- Breath Weapon (Recharge 5-6). A mithral dragon can spit a 60-foot-long, 5-foot-wide line of metallic shards. Targets in its path take 42 (12d6) magical slashing damage and lose another 8 hit points from bleeding at the start of their turns for 6 rounds; slashing and bleed damage are halved by a successful DC 18 Dexterity saving throw. Only magical healing stops the bleeding before 6 rounds. The shards dissolve into wisps of smoke 1 round after the breath weapon’s use.
The dragon can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The dragon regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
- Detect. The dragon makes a Wisdom (Perception) check.
- Tail Attack. The dragon makes a tail attack.
- Wing Attack (Costs 2 Actions). The dragon beats its wings. Each creature within 10 feet of the dragon must succeed on a DC 21 Dexterity saving throw or take 15 (2d6 + 8) bludgeoning damage and be knocked prone. The dragon can then fly up to half its flying speed.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.