Large dragon, neutral
Armor Class 19 (natural armor)
Hit Points 189 (18d10 + 90)
Speed 40 ft., fly 100 ft.
|20 (+5)||17 (+3)||21 (+5)||16 (+3)||24 (+7)||20 (+5)|
Saving Throws Dex +8, Con +10, Int +8, Wis +12, Cha +10
Skills Arcana +8, History +8, Insight +12, Perception +12, Religion +8
Damage Immunities cold, fire; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Condition Immunities charmed, frightened, paralyzed, unconscious
Senses truesight 120 ft., passive Perception 22
Languages Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarvish, Elvish, Infernal, Primordial
Challenge 15 (13,000 XP)
- Legendary Resistance (2/day). If the star drake fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
- Magic Resistance. The drake has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Magic Weapons. The drake’s weapon attacks are magical.
- Innate Spellcasting. The drake’s innate spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 20). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- Multiattack. The drake makes one bite attack and two claw attacks.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 16 (2d10 + 5) piercing damage.
- Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 15 (3d6 + 5) slashing damage.
- Breath Weapon (Recharge 5-6). The drake exhales either fire or frigid air in a 40-foot cone. Each creature in that area takes 78 (12d12) fire or cold damage, whichever the drake wishes, or half damage with a successful DC 18 Dexterity saving throw.
- Nimbus of Stars. The drake is surrounded by a whirling nimbus of tiny motes of starlight. A sighted creature that starts its turn within 10 feet of the drake must make a successful DC 18 Constitution saving throw or become incapacitated. At the start of a character’s turn, a character can choose to avert its eyes and gain immunity against this effect until the start of its next turn, but it must treat the drake as invisible while the character’s eyes are averted.
- Searing Star (1/Day). Ranged Spell Attack: +12 to hit, range 120 ft., one target. Hit: 65 (10d12) force damage, and the target must succeed on a DC 18 Constitution saving throw or be permanently blinded.
The drake can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The drake regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
- Bite Attack. The drake makes one bite attack.
- Nova (Costs 2 Actions). The drake momentarily doubles the radius and intensity of its nimbus of stars. Every sighted creature within 20 feet of the drake must make a successful DC 18 Constitution saving throw or become blinded until the end of its next turn. Characters who are averting their eyes are immune to the nova.
- Pale Sparks. The drake casts faerie fire or moonbeam.
Twinkling motes of light move around this draconic creature’s body like stars, their reflections twinkling across its metallic scales.
Returned Travelers. A drake’s curiosity sometimes drives it to seek experiences beyond its plane, and it finds companions with which it travels the multiverse. Such drakes return quite clearly changed in appearance, demeanor, and ability. Regardless of which type of drake embarked on the journey, the creature always returns as a star drake.
Mortal Protectors. Star drakes consider themselves protectors of the Material Plane. They view those from other planes as meddlers in the affairs of humanoid races, regarding fiends and celestials as equally threatening. Star drakes might negotiate with, drive off, or destroy such meddlers. Occasionally, they lead extraplanar incursions to make it clear outsiders are unwelcome.
Glimmering Lights. A star drake differs in appearance from dragons primarily by its mottled metallic scales and the nimbus of tiny stars surrounding its body. A star drake measures 10 feet long and weighs roughly 500 lb.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.