Large dragon, lawful evil (Medium fey when in humanoid form)
Armor Class 17 (natural armor)
Hit Points 231 (22d10 + 110)
Speed 40 ft., fly 120 ft.
|20 (+5)||16 (+3)||21 (+5)||15 (+2)||18 (+4)||18 (+4)|
Saving Throws Dex +7, Con +9, Int +6, Wis +8, Cha +8
Skills Arcana +6, Deception +8, Insight +8, Perception +8, Persuasion +8, Sleight of Hand +7
Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Condition Immunities paralyzed, poisoned, unconscious
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 18
Languages Common, Darakhul, Draconic, Elvish, Sylvan
Challenge 11 (7,200 XP)
- Magic Sensitive. The naina detects magic as if it were permanently under the effect of a detect magic spell.
- Spellcasting. The naina is a 9th-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 16, +8 to hit with spell attacks). The naina has the following sorcerer spells prepared:
- Cantrips (at will): dancing lights, mage hand, mending, ray of frost, resistance, silent image
- 1st level (4 slots): charm person, thunderwave, witch bolt
- 2nd level (3 slots): darkness, invisibility, locate object
- 3rd level (3 slots): dispel magic, hypnotic pattern
- 4th level (3 slots): dimension door
- 5th level (1 slot): dominate person
- Shapechanger. The naina can use her action to polymorph into one of her two forms: a drake or a female humanoid. She cannot alter either form’s appearance or capabilities (with the exception of her breath weapon) using this ability, and damage sustained in one form transfers to the other form.
- Multiattack. The naina makes two claw attacks and one bite attack.
- Bite (drake form only). Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 24 (3d12 + 5) piercing damage.
- Claw (drake form only). Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 24 (3d12 + 5) slashing damage.
- Poison Breath (Recharge 5-6). While in drake form (only), the naina breathes a 20-foot cone of poison gas, paralytic gas, or sleep gas.
- Poison. A creature caught in this poison gas takes 18 (4d8) poison damage and is poisoned; a successful DC 17 Constitution saving throw reduces damage to half and negates the poisoned condition. While poisoned this way, the creature must repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns. On a failure, it takes 9 (2d8) poison damage and the poisoning continues; on a success, the poisoning ends.
- Paralysis. A creature caught in this paralytic gas must succeed on a DC 17 Constitution saving throw or be paralyzed for 2d4 rounds. A paralyzed creature repeats the saving throw at the end of each of its turns; a successful save ends the paralysis.
- Sleep. A creature caught in this sleeping gas must succeed on a DC 17 Constitution saving throw or fall unconscious for 6 rounds. A sleeping creature repeats the saving throw at the end of each of its turns; it wakes up if it makes the save successfully.
These drakes are resplendent in their natural form, plumed and scaled in glittering, multicolored hues. In humanoid form, they appear as elderly homespun human crones or as young, beautiful elvish women.
Drakes in Human Form. These faerie drakes can take the shape of wise, old, human women. They retain full use of their sorcerous powers in their humanoid forms, and they can retain that form indefinitely.
Difficult to Spot. A naina shapeshifted into human form is nearly impossible to spot as anything but human unless she makes a mistake that gives away her true nature, and they seldom do. Draconic roars, a flash of scales, a fondness for raw meat, and a flash of wrathful dragon breath are the most common tells.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.