Lustrous sand rises from the dunes, forming a translucent crystalline figure. Moments later, it bursts into a shower of glass and begins wandering once more, only to repeat the cycle over again. A fragrite roams the desert confused and alone. Its unstable body exposes its chaotic, callow nature.
Medium elemental (shapechanger), chaotic neutral
Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 91 (14d8 + 28)
Speed 30 ft.
|16 (+3)||13 (+1)||15 (+2)||6 (–2)||8 (–1)||8 (–1)|
Damage Resistances fire, lightning; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities exhaustion, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, prone, restrained, unconscious
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 9
Challenge 6 (2,300 XP)
- Sand Camouflage (Sand Form Only). The fragrite has advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made to hide in sandy terrain.
- Sand Glide (Sand Form Only). The fragrite can burrow through sand without disturbing the material it moves through.
- Shapechanger. As a bonus action, the fragrite can polymorph into a mass of sand or a glass humanoid. Its statistics are the same in each form. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn’t transformed. While in sand form, the fragrite has a burrow speed of 50 feet, it can move through a space as narrow as 1 inch wide without squeezing, and it is immune to the grappled condition. While in glass form, the fragrite has vulnerability to thunder damage.
- Multiattack. The fragrite makes two strike attacks.
- Strike. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 12 (2d8 + 3) bludgeoning damage. If the fragrite is in its glass form and has less than half of its total hp remaining, this attack instead deals 16 (3d8 + 3) slashing damage.
- Spontaneous Explosion (Glass Form Only; Recharge 5–6). The fragrite explodes into shards of glass, reducing its hp by 5 (2d4). Each creature within 15 feet of it must make a DC 14 Dexterity saving throw, taking 27 (6d8) slashing damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The fragrite then polymorphs into its sand form.
Explosive Beginnings. When lightning strikes the earth and the conditions are just right, there is a chance for the sand to become glass. When this unlikely occurrence involves enough elemental magic, there is another chance for the vitrified mass to come to life. The awakening of a fragrite is jarring and alarming, even to itself.
Beware of Broken Glass. Though glass is brittle and easily broken, its razor sharp edges can cut deep. As the fragrite’s form is chipped away by its enemies or its own volatile nature, its edges become more jagged and dangerous.
Elemental Nature. A fragrite doesn’t require air, food, drink or sleep.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.