Large elemental, neutral
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 105 (10d10 + 50)
Speed 30 ft., swim 30 ft, burrow (snow, ice) 30 ft.
|20 (+5)||14 (+2)||20 (+5)||6 (-2)||14 (+2)||3 (-4)|
- Born of Rime. A rime worm can breathe air or water with equal ease.
- Ringed by Ice and Death. A rime worm is surrounded by an aura of cold, necrotic magic. At the start of the rime worm’s turn, enemies within 5 feet take 2 (1d4) cold damage plus 2 (1d4) necrotic damage. If two or more enemies take damage from the aura on a single turn, the rime worm’s black ice spray recharges immediately.
- Multiattack. The rime worm makes two tendril attacks.
- Tendril. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d6 + 5) slashing damage. If both tendril attacks hit the same target in a single turn, that target is grappled (escape DC 15). The rime worm can grapple one creature at a time, and it can’t use its tendril or devour attacks against a different target while it has a creature grappled.
- Devour. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 18 (2d12 + 5) slashing damage. If the target was grappled by the rime worm, it takes an additional 13 (2d12) cold damage.
- Black Ice Spray (Recharge 5-6). The rime worm sprays slivers of ice in a line 30 feet long and 5 feet wide. All creatures in the line take 26 (4d12) necrotic damage and are blinded; a successful DC 15 Constitution saving throw prevents the blindness. A blinded creature repeats the saving throw at the end of its turn, ending the effect on itself with a successful save.
These long, crusty slugs sparkle like ice. A gaping hole at one end serves as a mouth, from which long tendrils emanate.
Rime worms are sometimes kept as guards by frost giants.
Ice Burrowers. The rime worm’s tendrils help it to burrow through ice and snow as well absorb sustenance from prey.
Their pale, almost translucent, skin is coated with ice crystals, making them difficult to spot in their snowy habitat.
Spray Black Ice. The worms are fierce hunters, and their ability to spray skewers of ice and rotting flesh makes them extremely dangerous.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.