Clad in emerald green plate mail and a cloak woven from leaves, this mysterious knight wields a mighty battle axe. A shield decorated with greenery is strapped to his arm.
Medium fey, lawful neutral
Armor Class 20 (plate, shield)
Hit Points 78 (12d8 + 24)
Speed 30 ft.
|18 (+4)||10 (+0)||14 (+2)||10 (+0)||12 (+1)||16 (+3)|
Saving Throws Dexterity +3, Constitution +5
Skills Athletics +7, Intimidation +6, Survival +4
Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks not made with cold iron
Condition Immunities charmed, frightened
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 11
Languages Common, Elvish, Sylvan
Challenge 6 (2,300 XP)
- Headsman’s Woe. If the green knight’s head is severed by a vorpal weapon or by other means, magical vines sprout from its neck and the head reattaches by the start of the green knight’s next turn, preventing the green knight from dying from the loss of its head.
- Knight’s Challenge (3/day). As a bonus action, the green knight targets one creature that it can see within 30 feet and issues a challenge. If the target can see the green knight, it must succeed on a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw or become magically compelled to engage the green knight in melee combat for 1 minute, or until the knight challenges a new opponent. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. On its turn, the affected creature must move towards the green knight and make a melee attack against the green knight.
- Magic Resistance. The green knight has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Speak with Beasts and Plants. The green knight can communicate with beasts and plants as if they shared a language.
- Multiattack. The green knight makes two attacks: one with its battle axe and one with its shield bash.
- Battle Axe. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d8 + 4) slashing damage, or 9 (1d10 + 4) slashing damage if used with two hands.
- Shield Bash. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6 + 4) bludgeoning damage and the target is grappled (escape DC 15). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained by magical vines springing forth from the green knight’s shield, and the green knight can’t make shield bash attacks against other targets.
- Javelin. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6 + 4) piercing damage.
- Knight’s Rebuke. When the green knight is hit by a melee attack from a creature it has successfully challenged, it can make one battle axe attack with advantage against the attacker.
Fey Champions. Green knights serve the Fey Lords and Ladies, acting as their champions and protecting those ancient forests where the borders between the Material Plane and the lands of the fey are thin. They are creatures of honor, and they are sometimes sent by a fey noble to test the integrity and honesty of a mortal knight by challenging the mortal to a duel or other contest. Beneath their plate armor, green knights appear as heavily built humanoids with a greenish tinge to their skin.
Forest Hideaways. Green knights make their homes in “green chapels” deep in the woods. These places are sometimes ruined churches or keeps overgrown with moss, vines and other foliage, or hidden forest gorges guarded by woodwoses or other fey creatures. Green knights often ride green-skinned, fey warhorses into battle (use warhorse statistics with the Magic Resistance trait and plate barding).
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.