Medium fey, chaotic evil
Armor Class 16 (natural armor)
Hit Points 178 (21d8 + 84)
Speed 30 ft., climb 30 ft.
|20 (+5)||16 (+3)||18 (+4)||19 (+4)||21 (+5)||17 (+3)|
Saving Throws Dex +7, Con +8, Cha +7
Skills Deception +7, Intimidation +7, Perception +9, Stealth +7
Condition Immunities charmed, poisoned
Senses blood sense 90 ft., darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 19
Languages Common, Giant, Infernal, Sylvan, Trollkin
Challenge 11 (7,200 XP)
- Blood Sense. A blood hag automatically senses the blood of living creatures within 90 feet and can pinpoint their locations within 30 feet.
- Innate Spellcasting. The hag’s innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 15). She can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- Multiattack. The blood hag makes two claw attacks and one blood-drinking hair attack.
- Blood-Drinking Hair. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 18 (3d8 + 5) piercing damage and a Medium or smaller target is grappled (escape DC 15). A grappled creature takes 13 (2d8 + 3) necrotic damage at the start of the hag’s turns, and the hag heals half as many hit points. The hag gains excess healing as temporary hit points. The hag can grapple one or two creatures at a time. Also see Face Peel.
- Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 19 (4d6 + 5) slashing damage.
- Call the Blood. The blood hag targets a living creature within 30 feet that she detects with her blood sense and makes the target bleed uncontrollably. The target must make a successful DC 16 Constitution saving throw or suffer one of the effects listed below. A target that saves successfully cannot be affected by this hag’s ability again for 24 hours.
- Blood Choke Curse. The target’s mouth fills with blood, preventing any speech or spellcasting with verbal components for 1 minute.
- Blood Eye. The target’s eyes well up with bloody tears. The target is blinded for 1 minute.
- Heart Like Thunder. The target hears only the rushing of blood and their thumping heart. They are deaf for 1 minute.
- Rupturing Arteries. The victim suffers 7 (2d6) slashing damage as its veins and arteries burst open. The target repeats the saving throw at the beginning of each of its turns. It takes 3 (1d6) necrotic damage if the saving throw fails, but the effect ends on a successful save.
This bent-backed crone has long, leathery arms and cruel, flesh-shearing talons. Her face is a misshapen mass of leathery flesh with a bulbous nose, like a gnarled knot on an old oak tree.
Vampiric Origins. Blood hags have long skulked on the fringes of society. The first blood hags appeared when a red hag mated with a mad vampire archmage- their offspring became the first blood hags. Many more followed.
Face Stealers. Blood hags prey on mankind, stealing their seed to propagate, their blood to satisfy their insatiable thirst, and their faces as trophies of these short-lived and bloody trysts.
Worm Hair. A blood hag’s hair is a morass of wriggling worms, ever thirsty for fresh blood.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.