A mysterious and massive wolf-like beast prowls the kingdom’s border wilderness. Many hunters have pursued it to their deaths, for there could be no greater quarry than Inu. It is not aggressive or territorial, but it does not hold back when provoked.
The Royal Beast. Every new prince and princess of the kingdom who reaches the age of majority must meet Inu alone. Long ago, it was expected that princes would ride out to challenge Inu, while princesses would be sealed away in towers to await it, but a few generations of warrior princesses and more domestic princes have wiped away that tradition. Now each chooses their own approach – but they never speak of what transpires in these encounters.
Reclusive and Cunning. Inu’s magical gifts, including its mighty howl, protect it from the traps and treacheries of hunters. Those who foolishly provoke Inu find that these tricks make it a deadly foe as well.
Gargantuan fey, neutral
Armor Class 18 (natural armor)
Hit Points 263 (17d20 + 85)
Speed 90 ft.
|23 (+6)||15 (+2)||20 (+5)||11 (+0)||14 (+2)||10 (+0)|
Saving Throws Dexterity+7, Charisma+5
Skills Athletics +11, Intimidation +5, Perception +7, Stealth +7
Damage Resistances acid, cold, fire, lightning, necrotic, thunder
Condition Immunities frightened
Senses darkvision 600 ft., passive Perception 17
Challenge 13 (10,000 XP)
- Colossal Creature. Kaiju are creatures far larger than the scale of others. Conventional weapons, even highly-enchanted ones, lack the mass to deal serious wounds to a kaiju. The same is true for all but the mightiest spells. When a creature of Huge size or smaller deals damage to a kaiju with a weapon or feature, or with a spell of 8th level or lower, its damage is halved, and can be reduced further by resistance or saving throws. Siege weapons and creatures with the Siege Monster trait are treated like Gargantuan creatures. Creatures of size Huge and smaller can move through or occupy a kaiju’s space. Gargantuan creatures and 9th-level spells (including lower-level spells cast with 9th-level slots) deal normal damage, which can be reduced further by resistance or saving throws. Kaiju deal double damage to objects and structures. They ignore normal difficult terrain, and treat thick forests, settlements, or mountains as difficult rather than impassable terrain.
- Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If Inu fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 20 ft., one target. Hit: 19 (4d6 + 5) piercing damage, and the target must make a DC 21 Strength saving throw. On a failed save, the target suffers an additional 14 (4d6) piercing damage and is knocked prone.
- Howl (Recharge 5-6). Inu howls, and creatures of Inu’s choice within 120 ft. must make a DC 18 Charisma saving throw. Inu does not have to be able to see them, or be aware of their presence. Creatures that fail this saving throw suffer 35 (10d6) thunder damage, and all disguise, illusion, or polymorphing effects on them end. On a successful save, the creatures suffer half damage and no further effects.
Inu can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn.
Inu regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
- Bite. Inu makes one bite attack.
- Detect. Inu makes a Wisdom (Perception) check.
- Recover. Inu regains 50 hit points. Once it uses this ability, it can’t do so again until the end of its next turn.
Kaiju Codex. © copyright 2015 Steven D. Russell; Authors Elaine Betts and Justin P. Sluder