Medium fey, chaotic neutral
Armor Class 19
Hit Points 120 (12d8+48)
Speed 30 ft., swim 60 ft.
|11 (+0)||21 (+5)||19 (+4)||14 (+2)||18 (+4)||18 (+4)|
- Innate Spellcasting. The nereid’s innate spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 15). The nereid can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- At will. control water
- Magic Resistance. The nereid has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Shawl. A nereid’s shawl (6 hit points) contains a portion of her life force. If the shawl is ever destroyed, the nereid takes 1d6 necrotic damage per hour until she dies. A nereid can craft a new shawl from water by making a DC 10 Wisdom check, but each attempt takes 1d4 hours to complete.
- Transparency. When underwater, a nereid’s body becomes transparent, effectively rendering her invisible. She can become visible or transparent on her turn without using an action.
- Unarmored Defense. If she wears no armor, a nereid’s Armor Class equals 10 + her Dexterity modifier + her Charisma modifier.
- Multiattack. The nereid uses Beguile, then Suggestion.
- Blind. Ranged Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, range 30/60 ft., one target. Hit: the target must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw. On a failure, the target is poisoned for 1 minute. A target is blinded while poisoned. At the end of each of its turns, the target can make another Constitution saving throw. On a success, the target is no longer poisoned.
- Beguile. The nereid causes any creatures within 30 feet that can see her to make a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw. Any creature that can’t be charmed succeeds on this saving throw automatically, and if the nereid or her companions are fighting a creature, it has advantage on the save. On a failed save, the target has disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks made to perceive any creature other than the nereid for 1 minute or until the target can no longer see her. The effect ends if the nereid is incapacitated or cannot be seen.
- Drowning Kiss. A nereid can flood the lungs of one target within 5 feet that is willing, incapacitated, or affected by her Beguile. She touches the target, traditionally by kissing the creature on the lips. The target must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or immediately begin drowning. Drowning creatures begin choking. At the end of each of its turns, the target can make another Constitution saving throw. On a success, the target is no longer drowning.
- Suggestion. The nereid suggests a course of activity (limited to a sentence or two) and magically influence a creature she can see within 30 feet that can hear and understand her. Creatures that can’t be charmed are immune to this effect. The suggestion must be worded in such a manner as to make the course of action sound reasonable. Asking the creature to stab itself, throw itself onto a spear, immolate itself, or do some other obviously harmful act automatically fails. The target must make a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, it pursues the course of action the nereid described to the best of its ability. The suggested course of action can continue for up to 8 hours. If the suggested activity can be completed in a shorter time, the effect ends when the subject finishes what it was asked to do. If the nereid or any of her companions damage the target, the effect ends.
Nereids are capricious and often dangerous aquatic fey that appear as strikingly beautiful women, often seen bathing unclothed in the water. Many sailors have met their doom following a nereid, for though a nereid’s beauty is otherworldly, her watery kiss is death. Others seek out nereids, for if one can secure control over the creature’s shawl, the cloth can be used to force the nereid’s compliance. A nereid forced to obey in this manner immediately attempts to slay her master as soon as she can secure her shawl’s safety.
Sea Friends. Nereids are sometimes accompanied by a friendly aquatic creature, often a large predator such as an orca (killer whale), giant squid, giant octopus, or giant moray eel.
Pirate Campaign Compendium © 2018, Legendary Games; Lead Designer Jason Nelson. Authors: Alex Augunas, Jeff Gomez, Matt Goodall, Jim Groves, Tim Hitchcock, Victoria Jaczko, Jonathan H. Keith, Lyz Liddell, Thomas J. Phillips, Alistair J. Rigg, Alex Riggs, Loren Sieg, Neil Spicer, Todd Stewart, Rachel Ventura, Michael D. Welham, Linda Zayas-Palmer.