Medium fey, chaotic neutral
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 143 (22d8 + 44)
Speed 20 ft., 50 ft. swim
|18 (+4)||17 (+3)||14 (+2)||13 (+1)||14 (+2)||19 (+4)|
Saving Throws Dexterity+6, Charisma+7
Skills Athletics +7, Deception +7, Insight +5, Perception +5, Stealth +6
Damage Resistances cold
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 15
Languages Aquan, Common
Challenge 6 (2,300 XP)
- Hold Breath. The selkie can hold its breath for 1 hour.
- Echo of Reason. The selkie has advantage on its Charisma checks made when talking or singing.
- Magic Resistance. The selkie has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Selkie Cloth. Those who hold the cloth can control the selkie, as if it were charmed by the bearer of the cloth. Selkies can regenerate a destroyed cloth at the next full moon, or after 21 days in the absence of a lunar cycle.
- Scent. The selkie has advantage on Perception checks made involving scent. When underwater, it can also track specific scents from up to a mile away.
- Multiattack. The selkie makes two melee attacks, one of which can be its bite if it is in its true form. In seal form, it can make two bite attacks.
- Bite (True Form or Seal Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (1d10+4) piercing damage.
- Dagger. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d4+4) piercing damage.
- Claws (True Form or Seal Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d8+4) slashing damage.
- Charming Song. The selkie sings a charming song. When it does, it can target one creature, who must make a DC 15 Charisma saving throw. On a failure, the creature is charmed for 1 minute. As a bonus action, the selkie can instruct a charmed creature to use its movement to enter or swim to the center of the nearest body of water, regardless of any danger. Charmed creatures can attempt a new saving throw at the end of each of their turns. If a creature’s saving throw is successful, or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the selkie’s Charming Song for the next 24 hours.
- Change Shape. The selkie magically polymorphs into a Small or Medium female humanoid, the shape of a seal, or back into its true form. Its statistics are the same in each form. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn’t transformed. It reverts to its true form if it dies.
Selkies are clever and brutal seal-like beings that often inhabit the colder oceans of the world.
Although capable predators, selkies are best known for their mysterious shapechanging ability, which allows them to come ashore in the guise of land dwellers and even live among other races before luring their victims beneath the waves to drown. In its natural form, a selkie has webbed, clawed hands and a muscular trunk ending in broad flippers.
A selkie’s head is a blend of human and seal, with large eyes and a mouth full of curved teeth. Selkies’ coats range from chestnut brown to slate, dappled with darker spots of gray. Male selkies grow to a length of 6-1/2 feet but can weigh up to 300 pounds because of the extra fat the creatures need to survive in colder climes. Females are slightly shorter and slimmer.
Selkies typically live up to 75 years.
Pirate Campaign Compendium © 2018, Legendary Games; Lead Designer Jason Nelson. Authors: Alex Augunas, Jeff Gomez, Matt Goodall, Jim Groves, Tim Hitchcock, Victoria Jaczko, Jonathan H. Keith, Lyz Liddell, Thomas J. Phillips, Alistair J. Rigg, Alex Riggs, Loren Sieg, Neil Spicer, Todd Stewart, Rachel Ventura, Michael D. Welham, Linda Zayas-Palmer.