This enormous fiend reeks of sulfur and brimstone, its furry lower body, arms, and torso rank with the iron smell of damp blood. An impressive flare of blue fur makes a mane around the monster’s grotesque horned, crimson head and furious avian glare.
Large fiend (demon), chaotic evil
Armor Class 16 (natural armor)
Hit Points 65 (10d10+10)
Speed 30 ft.
|17 (+3)||11 (+0)||12 (+1)||6 (–2)||10 (+0)||13 (+1)|
Saving Throws Strength +6, Dexterity +3, Constitution +4, Wisdom +3
Skills Athletics +6, Perception +3
Damage Resistances acid, cold, fire; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from attacks that aren’t cold iron
Damage Immunities lightning, poison
Condition Immunities poisoned; Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 13
Languages Abyssal, Celestial, Common, Draconic, telepathy 100 ft.
Challenge 5 (1,800 XP)
- Hatred of Mirrors. When adjacent to a mirror or creature wielding a polished metal shield, the abrikandilu makes a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw at the start of its turn or focuses on destroying the object casting its reflection.
- Innate Spellcasting. The abrikandilu’s innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 12, +4 to hit with spell attacks). The abrikandilu can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components: 3/day each: fear, shatter Siege Monster. The abrikandilu deals double damage to objects and structures.
- Multiattack. The abrikandilu makes one bite attack and two claw attacks.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) magical piercing damage.
- Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) magical slashing damage.
Wrecker demons that fill out the infantry of Abyssal armies, abrikandilu were destroyers of beauty in life that continue their envious vandalism for eternity. These fiends are driven to madness by the sight of their own mutated reflections and they do whatever is necessary to destroy an object showing it to them, enraged by the reminder of what they’ve become.
Wondrous item, very rare (requires attunement)
After you have attuned to this fiendish monocle it is subsumed into your face, replacing one of your eyes. Once attuned, you gain the following benefits:
- You have darkvision out to a range of 60 feet. If you already have darkvision, the eye increases its range by 60 feet.
- The abrikandilu eye has 5 charges. You can expend 1 charge as an action to cast the shatter spell (save DC 12) or 2 charges to cast the fear spell (save DC 12). The eye regains all expended charges at midnight.
These powerful gifts do not come without a price, however—you cannot stand the sight of your reflection. When adjacent to a mirror or creature wielding a polished metal shield, you must make a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw at the start of your turn or be compelled to destroy the object casting your reflection.
In addition, the eye becomes a permanent part of your body after you have attuned to it. Removing the magic item requires removing your actual eye, lowering your Constitution by 1 and causing you to make vision-based Wisdom (Perception) checks and Intelligence (Investigation) checks with disadvantage until your normal eye is restored through regeneration or a similar powerful healing spell.
Book of True Evil. © 2018 Mike Myler, published under license by Legendary Games.