Large fiend (demon), chaotic evil
Armor Class 18 (natural armor)
Hit Points 138 (12d10 + 72)
Speed 40 ft., burrow 20 ft., climb 40 ft., fly 40 ft.
|21 (+5)||17 (+3)||22 (+6)||19 (+4)||14 (+2)||24 (+7)|
Saving Throws Str +9, Dex +7, Con +10, Wis +6, Cha +11
Skills Acrobatics +11, Athletics +9, Perception +6, Stealth +11
Damage Resistances acid, fire; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities cold, lightning, poison
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses darkvision 120 ft., truesight 60 ft., passive Perception 16
Languages Abyssal, Common, Draconic, Elvish, Infernal; telepathy 60 ft.
Challenge 12 (8,400 XP)
- Innate Spellcasting. The demon lord of cockroach’s innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 19, +11 to hit with spell attacks). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- At will: detect evil and good, magic circle, teleport
- 3/day: dispel magic, insect plague (6th level), shapechange (vermin only)
- 1/day: contagion (always filth fever)
- Magic Resistance. The demon lord of cockroaches has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Summon Demon (1/Day). The demon lord of cockroaches can summon a chasme demon. The chasme appears in an unoccupied space within 60 feet of Akyishigal, acts as an ally of Akyishigal, and can’t summon other demons. It remains for 1 minute, until it or its summoner dies, or until its summoner dismisses it as an action.
- Multiattack. The demon lord of cockroaches makes four claw attacks.
- Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 16 (2d10 + 5) slashing damage.
- Cloak of Swarms (Recharge 5-6). The demon lord of cockroaches can emit a cloud of flying, stinging insects from his mouth, his eyes, and the tears in his skin. This cloud surrounds him to a depth of 5 feet. When the cloak is active, all attacks against him are made with disadvantage, and Akyishigal can see in all directions (through the insects’ eyes). Any living creature that starts its turn within 5 feet of Akyishigal takes 11 (2d10) piercing damage plus 10 (3d6) poison damage, or half as much poison damage with a successful DC 17 Constitution saving throw. If the saving throw fails, the character is also poisoned for 1 hour. The swarm lasts for 5 rounds; it dissipates instantly if Akyishigal takes 30 or more damage from a nonweapon attack that he doesn’t have resistance to. While poisoned by the Cloak of Swarms, a character emits a stench of decomposition. All uncontrolled vermin attack that character on sight and in preference to other targets.
Akyishigal can take 2 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. Akyishigal regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
- Teleport. The demon lord of cockroaches may teleport within line of sight.
- Skitter. The demon lord of cockroaches combines an attack with a move up to 20 feet as if using a withdraw action, and is not subject to attacks of opportunity.
- Spellcasting (Costs 2 Actions). The demon lord of cockroaches casts insect plague from its innate spellcasting ability.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.