This giant, elderly woman, with long, unkempt hair, pendulous breasts, and horrific claws cracks a crooked smile. Her face is a horrifying, fanged mask with wild, protruding eyes, and her tongue is disturbingly long with curved spikes of bone along its edges.
Large fiend (demon), chaotic evil
Armor Class 19 (natural armor)
Hit Points 262 (25d10 + 125)
Speed 30 ft.
|21 (+5)||19 (+4)||20 (+5)||22 (+6)||17 (+3)||21 (+5)|
Saving Throws Intelligence +12, Charisma +11
Skills Arcana +12, Deception +11, Insight +9, Perception +9, Stealth +10
Damage Resistances cold, fire; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities charmed, poisoned
Senses darkvision 120 ft., truesight 60 ft., passive Perception 19
Languages Abyssal, Celestial, Common, telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 17 (18,000 XP)
- Legendary Resistance (3/day). If the demon queen of witches fails a saving throw, she can choose to succeed instead.
- Magic Resistance. The demon queen of witches has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Innate Spellcasting. the demon queen of witch’s innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 19, +11 to hit with spell attacks). She can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- Multiattack. She makes three attacks: two with her claws and one with her tongue lash.
- Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (2d8 + 5) slashing damage. If the target is a humanoid, it must succeed on a DC 19 Constitution saving throw or become infected with cackle fever. If the target succeeds, it is immune to this effect for 24 hours.
- Tongue Lash. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 12 (2d6 + 5) slashing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 19 Constitution saving throw or its Strength score is reduced by 1d4. The target dies if this reduces its Strength to 0. Otherwise, the reduction lasts until the target finishes a long rest.
- Hypnotic Sway (Recharge 5–6). She sways her body and tongue in a mesmerizing rhythm. Each creature of her choice that is within 30 feet of her that can see her must succeed on a DC 19 Charisma saving throw or be stunned until the end of its next turn.
- Teleport. She magically teleports to an unoccupied space within line of sight. Alternatively, she magically enters her home plane from the Material Plane, or vice versa.
The demon queen of witches can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The demon queen of witches regains spent legendary actions at the start of her turn.
- Claw. She makes one claw attack.
- Teleport. She uses her Teleport ability.
- Spell (Costs 2 Actions). She casts a spell.
- Hypnotic Sway (Costs 2 Actions). She uses her Hypnotic Sway ability, if it is available.
Sacrifice of Innocents. Worshippers of the demon queen of witches are required to deliver the babes of mortals unto her once a year. She delights in feasting upon these offerings, often swallowing them whole.
Cursed Enemies. The demon queen of witches, once the mortal lover of the king of spirits, is now his eternal enemy. Her hate for the king of spirits fuels her machinations, and she blames him for her misfortunes.
In this, at least, she is correct—the king of spirits did betray her to darkness long ago, though she has since embraced it as an instrument of her vengeance.
Friend to Hags. The demon queen of witches is often accompanied by a halfdozen green or sea hags, occasionally by a few night or sand hags, and very rarely by one or two blood hags. The hags are messengers, guards, and allies of the demon queen.
The demon queen of witch’s lair is nestled beneath an immense, twisted tree strewn with corpse flowers and surrounded by warlock’s trumpetblooms deep in a vast bog of the Abyss.
The tree must reshape itself to grant access to the Witch Queen’s abode, an earthy, worm-ridden manse that reeks of decay.
- Roots of the great tree burst through the ground to grasp at a creature that she can see. The creature must succeed on a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw or be grappled (escape DC 15) until initiative count 20 on the following round.
- Water bubbles up from the ground in a 20-foot-radius from a point that she can see, making the area difficult terrain for 1 minute or until she uses this lair action again.
- The air in the lair shimmers in a disorienting way. Up to three creatures that she can see must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or have disadvantage on all attack rolls until initiative count 20 on the following round.
The region containing her lair is warped by her magic, which creates one or more of the following effects:
- Within 1 mile of the lair, all terrain is considered difficult, as boggy ground sucks at the feet of those walking, and leafless trees are grown so thick as to make flight burdensome. Hags, warlocks who gain their power from the demon queen of witches, and creatures native to swamps are unaffected.
- She can choose to see or hear through the senses of any beast or swarm within 3 miles of her lair.
- Water within 1 mile of the lair becomes tainted with the sight rot disease. Any non-native creature drinking water in this area, even water it brought in from outside the area, must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or become infected. Holy water is not infected by this effect.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.