Medium fiend (devil), lawful evil
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 102 (12d8 + 48)
Speed 30 ft.
|18 (+4)||12 (+1)||18 (+4)||14 (+2)||13 (+1)||15 (+2)|
Saving Throws Wis +4, Cha +5
Skills Deception +8, Insight +4
Damage Resistances acid, cold; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons that aren’t silvered
Damage Immunities fire, poison
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 11
Languages Celestial, Common, Infernal, telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 6 (2,300 XP)
- Devil’s Sight. Magical darkness doesn’t impede the devil’s darkvision.
- Magic Resistance. The crystalline devil has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Sneak Attack (1/Turn). The crystalline devil deals an extra 7 (2d6) damage when it hits a target with an attack and has advantage on the attack roll, or when the target is within 5 feet of an ally of the devil that isn’t incapacitated and the devil doesn’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.
- Innate Spellcasting. While in the form of a gemstone, the devil is an innate spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13). The devil can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- Multiattack. The devil makes two claw attacks.
- Betraying Carbuncle. The crystalline devil takes the form of a gemstone worth 500 gp. It radiates magic in this form, but it can’t be destroyed. It is fully aware and can see and hear its surroundings. Reverting to its usual form requires another action.
- Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) slashing damage.
- Crystalline Spray (Recharge 5-6). The crystalline devil magically sprays shards of crystal in a 15-foot cone. Each target in that area takes 17 (7d4) piercing damage, or half damage with a successful DC 15 Dexterity saving throw.
Crystalline devils resemble gem-coated humanoids with cruel, twisted faces, jagged teeth, and terrible talons like shards of broken glass. Their feet, however, are soft and bare, allowing them to pad along with surprising stealth, always looking for a favorable spot to assume gem form Winking Jewels. In its treasure form, a crystalline devil resembles a pretty, sparkling jewel lying on the ground, glowing with a warm inner light. They seek to catch the eye of an unwary creature whose mind it might corrupt to greed and murder. If their identity is discovered in gem form, they reassume their normal form and attack.
Created and favored by Mammon, the arch-devil of greed, crystalline devils masquerade as magic treasures. After insinuating themselves into groups, they encourage betrayal and murder, then persuade a host to pass on their treasure as atonement for their crimes.
Some crystalline devils have an action option that allows them to summon other devils.
Summon Devil (1/day): A crystalline devil has a 25 percent chance of summoning one additional crystalline devil.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.