Large fiend (devil), lawful evil
Armor Class 16 (natural armor)
Hit Points 94 (9d10 + 45)
Speed 40 ft., fly 60 ft. (hover), lightwalking 80 ft.
|21 (+5)||21 (+5)||20 (+5)||16 (+3)||15 (+2)||18 (+4)|
Saving Throws Str +8, Dex +8, Con +8, Wis +5
Skills Perception +5
Damage Resistances cold; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from nonmagical weapons that aren’t silvered
Damage Immunities fire, poison
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 15
Languages Celestial, Draconic, Elvish, Infernal, Sylvan, telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 8 (3,900 XP)
- Devil’s Sight. Magical darkness doesn’t impede the devil’s darkvision.
- Innate Spellcasting. The devil’s innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 15). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- Light Incorporeality. The devil is semi-incorporeal when standing in moonlight, and is immune to all nonmagical attacks in such conditions. Even when hit by spells or magic weapons, it takes only half damage from a corporeal source, with the exception of force damage. Holy water can affect the devil as it does incorporeal undead.
- Lightwalking. Once per round, the lunar devil magically teleports, along with any equipment it is wearing or carrying, from one beam of moonlight to another within 80 feet. This relocation uses half of its speed.
- Magic Resistance. The devil has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Variant Summon Devil (1/Day). The devil can attempt a magical summoning. The devil has a 40 percent chance of summoning either 2 chain devils or 1 lunar devil.
- Multiattack. The devil makes three attacks: one with its bite, one with its claws, and one with its tail. Alternatively, it can use Hurl Moonlight twice.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (1d12 + 5) piercing damage.
- Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 12 (2d6 + 5) slashing damage.
- Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (1d8 + 5) bludgeoning damage.
- Hurl Moonlight. Ranged Spell Attack: +7 to hit, range 150 ft., one target. Hit: 19 (3d12) cold damage and the target must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or become blinded for 4 rounds.
A hulking figure floats in the air, a winged horror painted in mist and moonlight.
Corruptors of the Moon. Always standing a bit apart from the machinations of the Dukes of Hell due to their dependence on moonlight, lunar devils can be found subverting druidical orders or leading packs of werewolves. They are a lazy breed of devil, and prefer lounging in the light of the moon over any more vigorous activity. The only exception is an opportunity to corrupt druids and moon-worshipers, pitting them against followers of sun gods.
Vain and Boastful. Lunar devils are as vain as they are indolent, and tales the fey tell of them involve thwarting them by appealing to their vanity. Lunar devils frequently befriend the dark fey.
Flying in Darkness. In combat, lunar devils sometimes cast fly on allies to bring them along, and they stay in areas of moonlight whenever they can. Lunar devils have excellent vision in total darkness as well, though, and are happy to use that against foes. At range, they use hurl moonlight and lightwalking to frustrate enemies. In melee, they use wall of ice to split foes, the better to battle just half at a time.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.