Medium fiend (devil), lawful evil
Armor Class 13 (natural armor)
Hit Points 93 (11d8 + 44)
Speed 30 ft.
|18 (+4)||13 (+1)||18 (+4)||13 (+1)||14 (+2)||15 (+2)|
Saving Throws Dex +4, Con +7, Cha +5
Skills Perception +5, Stealth +4
Damage Resistances acid, cold; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons that aren’t silvered
Damage Immunities fire, poison
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 15
Languages Celestial, Common, Gnoll, Infernal, telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 6 (2,300 XP)
- Devil’s Sight. Magical darkness doesn’t impede the devil’s darkvision.
- Magic Resistance. The devil has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Innate Spellcasting. The devil’s spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13). The devil can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- Multiattack. The devil makes two scimitar attacks.
- Scimitar. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6 + 4) slashing damage. If the target is neither undead nor a construct, it also takes 5 (1d10) necrotic damage, or half damage with a successful DC 15 Constitution saving throw. Plants, oozes, and creatures with the Amphibious, Water Breathing, or Water Form traits have disadvantage on this saving throw. If the saving throw fails by 5 or more, the target also gains one level of exhaustion.
Salt devils have sharp, crystalline teeth, sparkling skin studded with fine salt crystals, and long claws that leave jagged, burning wounds. They can also fight with salt-encrusted blades seemingly forged from thin air.
Servants of the Archdevil of Greed. Salt devils claim to serve the archdevil of greed, and they often ally with gnolls and slavers with whom they seek out oases to use as ambush sites or just to poison the water.
Slavers and Corruptors. Salt devils create slave markets and salt mines, where they thrive on the misery of those indentured into their service. They detest summoning peers during combat because they hate being indebted to another devil. They prefer to forge alliances with mortals when partners are needed for an endeavor, and they are less grasping and greedy than one might expect of the archdevil of greed’s servants, preferring to encourage corruption in others.
Some salt devils have an action option that allows them to summon other devils.
Summon Devil (1/day): A salt devil has a 40% chance of summoning one additional salt devil.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.