The unfocused dark eyes and twisted smile of the small, dwarf-like creature at first make her seem insane, yet harmless. Then the magic that pours from her proves that assumption terribly wrong.
Small humanoid (derro), chaotic evil
Armor Class 15 (studded leather armor)
Hit Points 77 (14d6 + 28)
Speed 30 ft.
|9 (–1)||16 (+3)||14 (+2)||11 (+0)||9 (–1)||16 (+3)|
- Heightened Spell (3/day). As a bonus action, a target of the witch queen’s choice within 60 feet of her has disadvantage on its saving throw against her next spell.
- Magic Resistance. The witch queen has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Sunlight Sensitivity. While in sunlight, the witch queen has disadvantage on attack rolls, as well as on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.
- Spellcasting. The witch queen is an 8th-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). She has the following wizard spells prepared:
- Maddening Scimitar. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) slashing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 14 Charisma saving throw or use its reaction to move up to its speed and make a melee attack against the nearest enemy of the witch queen.
Cold, Calculating Insanity. The derro witch queen sits at the center of an entire clan of derro, turning the mad dreams and odd behaviors of each individual into action. Like the rest of her clan, the inscrutable thoughts and actions of the derro witch queen may seem random and chaotic, but at their core the derro find themselves moving toward a common goal.
Ruler and Servant. The witch queen looks different from other derro. Her pale skin and dark raven hair set her apart, as do her cold, black-pupiled eyes. These changes come over the witch queen upon the death of the previous witch queen, when the mad soul of the witch queen transfers from one host to the next. While outsiders may think the witch queen rules her clan, the opposite is true. The witch queen responds to the unfocused, rambling thoughts of each member of her clan. Her synchronicity with every member of the clan informs all her actions and decisions, making her the maddest of the mad.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.