An aura of power, centered on a glowing purple crystal atop a short staff, crackles around this pale kobold and arcs across the horns on its headdress. A luminous, leering dragon face fades into being, ghostly and terrible, behind it.
Small humanoid (kobold), lawful neutral
Armor Class 12 (15 with mage armor)
Hit Points 58 (13d6 + 13)
Speed 30 ft.
|6 (–2)||14 (+2)||13 (+1)||17 (+3)||10 (+0)||8 (–1)|
- Pack Tactics. The kobold has advantage on attack rolls roll against a creature if at least one of the kobold’s allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn’t incapacitated.
- Sunlight Sensitivity. While in sunlight, the kobold has disadvantage on attack rolls and Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.
- Spellcasting. The wizard kobold is an 8th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). It has the following wizard spells prepared:
- Dagger. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.
- Draconic Visage (1/day). The wizard kobold magically creates a draconic visage in an unoccupied space it can see within 30 feet. The visage is a glowing, spectral head and neck, resembling a variety of dragon chosen by the kobold, that sheds dim light out to 10 feet. The visage lasts for 1 minute and grants the following benefits:
- A creature hostile to the wizard who starts its turn within 30 feet of the visage and who is aware of the visage must succeed on a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw or be frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature’s saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to this effect for the next 24 hours.
- The wizard gains immunity to the damage type dealt by the chosen dragon’s breath weapon.
- When the wizard uses this action, and as a bonus action on it subsequent turns, it can use the following attack:
- Breath of the Visage. Ranged Spell Attack: +6 to hit, range 120 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (2d6) damage of the type dealt by the chosen dragon’s breath weapon.
Wizard kobolds are among the most cunning and intelligent of the scaly kin. They turn their talent for manipulating arcane magic to study and formula, often getting their start with a stolen spellbook, or one purloined from the remains of an adventurer who met its end in a kobold trap.
Draconic Channel. Wizard kobolds have made a fearsome reputation for themselves with their ability to tap into their draconic heritage through their magic. The wizard draws magic either from a patron dragon or an ancestral dragon figure, manifesting it as a magical effigy. This apparition lends its resilience to the wizard and brings terror and death to the kobold’s enemies.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.