A grinning elf with snow white skin and jet-black hair holds up her hand authoritatively, blocking the path forward.
Armor Class 16 (breastplate)
Hit Points 117 (18d8 + 36)
Speed 30 ft.
|14 (+2)||18 (+4)||14 (+2)||14 (+2)||12 (+1)||16 (+3)|
Saving Throws Dexterity +7, Constitution +5, Wisdom +4, Charisma +6
Skills Arcana +5, Nature +5, Perception +4, Stealth +7, Survival +4
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 14
Languages Common, Elvish, Umbral
Challenge 5 (1,800 XP)
- Fey Ancestry. The shadow fey has advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put it to sleep.
- Keen Sight. The shadow fey has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.
- Obscure the Way (1/day). As a bonus action, the shadow fey designates a creature it can see within 100 feet and obscures the creature and its companions’ travel on a particular shadow road. That shadow road will not open for the designated creature or its traveling companions except through powerful magical means such as by a key of Veles. In addition, that shadow road won’t lead to its usual destination for the designated creature or its traveling companions, instead leading the group in a meandering loop. This effect lasts for 9 (2d8) days, until the shadow fey removes the effect, or until the shadow fey dies.
- Shadow Traveler (3/day). As a bonus action while in shadows, dim light, or darkness, the shadow fey disappears into the darkness and reappears in an unoccupied space it can see within 30 feet. A tendril of inky smoke appears at the origin and destination when it uses this trait.
- Sunlight Sensitivity. While in sunlight, the shadow fey has disadvantage on attack rolls, as well as on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.
- Traveler in Darkness. The shadow fey has advantage on Intelligence (Arcana) checks made to know about shadow roads and shadow magic spells or items.
- Multiattack. The knight of the road makes two longsword attacks or two shortbow attacks.
- Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d8 + 2) slashing damage, or 7 (1d10 + 2) slashing damage if used with two hands.
- Lance. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d12 + 2) piercing damage.
- Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, range 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6 + 4) piercing damage and the target must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or become poisoned for 1 minute. A poisoned creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
Agents of the Shadow Roads. Shadow fey knights of the road stalk the lands near shadow gates, or the shadow roads themselves, ever-watchful for opportunities to enrich themselves or improve their station, be it through robbery, ransom, or murder.
Opportunists and Climbers. These shadow elves, often out-of-favor minor nobility, study every nook and cranny of the territory in which they work. They use their accumulated knowledge against their quarry with great effect in the hopes of using new wealth, knowledge, and infamy to curry favor with their betters.
Never Far from Home. Knights of the road prefer to fight, hunt, threaten, and do other business in the Shadow Realm, though they are active anywhere that connects to it.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.