Medium monstrosity, chaotic neutral
Armor Class 14 (leather armor)
Hit Points 49 (9d8 + 9)
Speed 40 ft.
|13 (+1)||17 (+3)||12 (+1)||8 (-1)||16 (+3)||8 (-1)|
Skills Nature +3, Perception +5, Stealth +5, Survival +5
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 15
Languages Common, Elvish, Sylvan.
Challenge 1/2 (100 XP); An alseid grovekeeper has a challenge rating of 3 (700 XP)
- Woodfriend. When in a forest, alseid leave no tracks and automatically discern true north.
- Spear. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d6 + 1) piercing damage, or 5 (1d8 + 1) piercing damage if used with two hands to make a melee attack.
- Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6+3) piercing damage.
Alseids are the graceful woodland cousins to centaurs, with the slender upper body of an elf and the lower body of a deer. Because they are rarely seen far from the wooded glades they call home, they are sometimes called “grove nymphs,” despite being more closely related to elves than nymphs.
Forest Guardians. Alseids see the forest as an individual and a friend. They are suspicious of outsiders who do not share this view. Lost travelers who demonstrate deep respect for the forest may spot a distant alseid’s white tail; if they chase after it as it bounds away, the sympathetic alseid may lead it toward a road or trail that can carry them out of the forest. Disrespectful strangers may follow the same tail to their doom. Alseids have no compunction about slaughtering trespassers who burn or cut down their forest.
Antlers Show Status. Male alseids have antlers growing from their foreheads. These antlers grow very slowly, branching every 10 years for the first century of life. Further points only develop with the blessing of the forest. No fourteen-point imperial alseids are known to exist, but many tribes are governed by princes with thirteen points. Because antlers signify status, alseids never use them in combat. Cutting an alseid’s antlers entirely off or just removing points is a humiliating and grave punishment.
Variant: Alseid Grovekeeper
An alseid grovekeeper has a challenge rating of 3 (700 XP).
Grovekeepers carry the wrath of their primordial home against those who threaten it. The grovekeeper speaks Druidic and have the following changes:
Armor Class 15 (studded leather armor)
Hit Points 71 (13d8 + 13)
- Cantrips (at will): druidcraft, guidance, produce flame, shillelagh
- 1st (4 slots): animal friendship, cure wounds, faerie fire
- 2nd (3 slots): animal messenger, heat metal, lesser restoration
- 3rd (2 slots): call lightning, dispel magic
Replace the Alseid’s spear action option with the following:
- Quarterstaff. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit (+5 with shillelagh), reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 4 (1d6 + 1) bludgeoning damage or 5 (1d8 + 1) bludgeoning damage if used in two hands, or 7 (1d8 + 3) bludgeoning damage with shillelagh.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.