The massive white worm opens its gaping maw, revealing two square teeth, and spews flaming oil onto its prey.
Huge monstrosity, unaligned
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 172 (15d12 + 75)
Speed 20 ft., swim 60 ft.
|20 (+5)||14 (+2)||20 (+5)||6 (-2)||13 (+1)||10 (+0)|
Saving Throws Strength +8, Constitution +8
Skills Perception +4, Stealth +5
Damage Vulnerabilities cold
Damage Immunities fire
Senses blindsense 60 ft, passive Perception 14
Challenge 7 (2,900 XP)
- Amphibious. The jaanavar jal can breathe air and water.
- Regeneration. The jaanavar jal regains 10 hp at the start of its turn if it has at least 1 hp. If the jaanavar jal takes cold damage, this trait doesn’t function at the start of its next turn. The jaanavar jal dies only if it starts its turn with 0 hp and doesn’t regenerate.
- Multiattack. The jaanavar jal makes two attacks: one with its bite and one to constrict.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 21 (3d10 + 5) piercing damage.
- Constrict. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one Large or smaller creature. Hit: 10 (1d10 + 5) bludgeoning damage and the target is grappled (escape DC 16). Until this grapple ends, the creature is restrained and the jaanavar jal can’t constrict another creature.
- Flaming Oil Spittle (Recharge 5–6). The jaanavar jal expels a line of burning oil that is 40 feet long and 5 feet wide from glands beside its mouth. Each creature in that line must make a DC 16 Dexterity saving throw, taking 31 (9d6) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
The jaanavar jal, also known as the burning beast, is the scourge of slow-moving rivers. Though dim-witted, jaanavar jal is a canny predator who consumes anything it can catch. The brave, or perhaps foolish, hunters who manage to bring down a burning beast can make their fortunes with a single kill.
River Ambusher. The jaanavar jal is known to ambush herd animals, fishermen and even whole boats, spewing flaming oil from its gaping maw to roast its prey before feasting.
Valuable Oils. The glands that produce the flaming oil (naphtha) are prized among alchemists.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.