A slimy green serpent with a hardened shell-like growth upon its back, the lou carcolh epitomizes the horror of both snake and snail. Its venomous maw features two needle-sharp fangs.
Medium monstrosity, unaligned
Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 78 (12d8 + 24)
Speed 30 ft., climb 10 ft., swim 20 ft.
|15 (+2)||14 (+2)||14 (+2)||3 (-4)||10 (+0)||10 (+0)|
- Sticky Tongues. Given half an hour, the lou carcolh can extend its 6 sticky tongues up to 60 feet from itself. A creature who touches one of these tongues must succeed on a DC 13 Dexterity saving throw or be restrained as it adheres to the tongue. The tongues can be attacked (AC 12, 10 hp), and any damage done to a tongue is also done to the lou carcolh. Killing a tongue ends the restrained condition, and the lou carcolh can’t use that tongue for for the next 24.
- Slime Trail (1/day). For 1 minute, the lou carcolh leaves a slime trail behind it as it moves. The slime creates difficult terrain, and any creature walking through it must succeed on a DC 13 Dexterity (Acrobatics) check or fall prone. The slime remains effective for 1 hour.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d8+ 2) piercing damage and 2 (1d4) poison damage and the target must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned until the end of its turn.
- Spit Venom. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 16 (3d10) poison damage.
- Sticky Tongue. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 60 ft., one target. Hit: The target is restrained and the lou carcolh can’t use the same sticky tongue on another target.
- Reel. The lou carcolh pulls in each creature of Large size or smaller who is restrained by one of its sticky tongues. The creature is knocked prone and dragged up to 30 feet towards the lou carcolh. If a creature is dragged within 5 feet of the lou carcolh, it can make one bite attack against the creature as a bonus action.
Trappers. The lou carcolh’s preferred means of capturing prey is laying an ambush with its many mouth appendages stretched great distances, entrapping creatures who touch or step on them. The appendages regrow daily, so it is never without a fresh set.
Steeds to Dark Fey. Some dark fey creatures tame and ride lou carcolh as steeds. Their surprising speed, climbing ability, and comfort in the water make them ideal for traversing dread wetlands and fetid forests.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.